Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS medicine application

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi! I am applying for medicine in the UK and I was wondering does anyone know of universities that accept a lot of Irish students or have in the past?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Hi I'm wondering about the same thing aswell. Have you taken the UKCAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sjk1992

No not yet mine is booked for october, leaving it as late as possible :) Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NlALL

im applying to medicine through both cao and ucas. the thing is, i did pretty poorly in my junior cert(B's and C's at honours). i know ucas puts a lot of importance on the gcse's but do they care about the junior cert? or is all the emphasis put on predicted grades?

with such an average junior cert, would it even be worth my time and money applying to ucas and taking the ukcat?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I applied last year and got offered a place in Queen's Belfast. I also applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen and AFAIK, Queen's was the only one that placed emphasis on your Junior Cert. results (An A in Science is needed I think...)

They don't seem to differentiate between Irish students and UK students at all - most important thing is the personal statement and high UKCAT scores then you'll be called for an interview based on them. There was a huge increase in demand for Med. in the UK last year so UKCAT requirements went through the roof - prepare yourself for that as well as possible. There's lots of cheap prep books on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I think the JC is pretty important to them but most important to queens, i got a straight a jc and they dropped a load of requirements like physics and honours maths for me on a count of that. i got interviews at brighton, east anglia and queens without an interview. decided uk wasnt for me and that because of my hpat i'd need a much lower leaving cert to get in to ireland though and never attended the interviews

• Advertisement
Advertisement