Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best teachers in the IOE

Options
  • 03-09-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating in the IOE this year unfortunately and i'm wondering who's the best of their teachers. I know they are all excellent but i would like to know who is the best Biology, Geography and French teacher.

I know Pat Doyle is the one for physics and that roundtree guy for maths and applied maths.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Eternaldream

I went to the IOE for 5th and 6th year...

I'd say Susan Silke is the best Biology teacher.. She's quite impersonal and doesnt come across as very friendly, but she provides supurb notes and explains everything! Very good to get the stuff in your head!!

I didnt do french or geography but from what I've heard from my friends, Serge is great for French! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

irish_man wrote: »
    I'm repeating in the IOE this year unfortunately and i'm wondering who's the best of their teachers. I know they are all excellent but i would like to know who is the best Biology, Geography and French teacher.

I know Pat Doyle is the one for physics and that roundtree guy for maths and applied maths.

There's a French man called Serge something or other and he's excellent. I only had him for a week during an Easter revision course, but he was a really good teacher and so funny!

Pat Doyle is a LEGEND. I love that man. He made physics vaguely interesting.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi Irish_man,

What other subjects are you taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Lola92 wrote: »
    Hi Irish_man,

What other subjects are you taking?

i'm taking maths, geography, applied maths (for no anyway), physics, biology, business, french. I might drop applied maths, i'm thinking of sticking with 6 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

i'm taking maths, geography, applied maths (for no anyway), physics, biology, business, french. I might drop applied maths, i'm thinking of sticking with 6 subjects

Well I'd agree with Pat Doyle for Physics and Aiden Roantree for Maths and applied maths (did ordinary myself but he's meant to be best for H.Level). For french I had Corinne Gavenda, she is awsome :D a french native herself and I really grew to love the language in her classes :). Biology I would say Mona Murray without a doubt, the most helpful teacher I have ever had. She would have all the time in the world for you :) and Ive heard Keith Hannigan is good for Business (although I didn't do it myself). Hope that helps a bit!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Jim Carberry for geography.

hes very boring and thinks hes funny.. but you learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

There's 7,000 or so threads on this from last year, largely my doing...

Can only helpl you with business and biology. Willie Murphy's a great teacher. Has a story to go with EVERY defintiion etc so it sticks in your head. Test every second week so that keeps you on track.

Had Mona for biology. Test every week on what was covered the week before. No complaints, got me an A:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Did Geography revision course over easter and the teacher I had was not that great. If you want his name I will PM it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Dante

Serge is quite the beast of a French teacher. Just don't get on his bad side or he will literally destroy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Clare Grealy is great, had her this yr for Irish and you can't go wrong with a bit of Willy Murphy.....Your as sweet as oie

• Advertisement

Serge is quite the beast of a French teacher. Just don't get on his bad side or he will literally destroy you.
    He is nuts. Remember the sign out side his door? "If you are late, knock and make eye contact. Do not enter till I tell you. I will tell you to come in when I've finished a topic. This may take between 1-4 minutes". Hilarious all the same.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Did Geography revision course over easter and the teacher I had was not that great. If you want his name I will PM it to you.
    That's supposed to be the only subject without a top teacher. It was the reason I didn't do geog there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

The thing about Aidan Roantree is that he supplies you with notes and does out an example but when it comes to explaining how the mathematics of a problem works, he's not exactly the most comprehensible. I had Gerry Culleton as a grinds teacher in the Institute, who is now teaching in St. Andrew's, and he made maths very clear even though he covered the course very slowly and couldn't get it finished on time. He explained it by taking a difficult problem and breaking it down to its fundamental levels.

I respect Roantree for the quality of his teaching material and reputation for preparation for the one exam, but the teachers that can make [LATEX] f(x) = 5x^3 + 7x^2 + 3x + 23[/LATEX] look like [LATEX]2 + 2 = 4[/LATEX] are the ones that help you in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Corinne Gavenda is an amazing French teacher, she's French herself and she's very encouraging and I'd suggest you choose her class.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I did weekend classes in geog with Doran and I thought he was great. Notes were amazing and predictions were so accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I did 6th year and repeat there and I can tell you that they're not all amazing! pm me if you want to know who to avoid. teachers i thought were great were clare grealy, cathy sweeney, aidan roundtree, mona murray, orla ni shuilleabhan, tara lyons, donal power - i took up ag science my repeat year and got an a1 with very little effort. took it up so i'd have a 7th subject and glad i did!

I know i'm leaving it a tad late but where could I stay???
    i'd like to avoid digs if i could but that probably isn't an option now.

I know i'm leaving it a tad late but where could I stay???
    i'd like to avoid digs if i could but that probably isn't an option now.
    It's just off Stephens green, so there's probably 2,000 apartments within a 5 minute walking distance. I think the school give advice as well.

A good chunk of the school do this so you won't be alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Best Chemistry teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

David Bourke is a decent Biology teacher but IMO Susan Silke is better.

Mr Kelly is a very good English teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

alot of the teachers mentioned only teach 5th years, tara lyons is good for chemistry, well her notes are great anyway. there's only one other teacher chemistry and he's meant to be good too, heard he's better but i've never been to his classes

lctake2 wrote: »
    alot of the teachers mentioned only teach 5th years, tara lyons is good for chemistry, well her notes are great anyway. there's only one other teacher chemistry and he's meant to be good too, heard he's better but i've never been to his classes
    True, you can't choose any of the teachers in the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

David Bourke is a beast of a biology teacher. One of the funniest teachers I've ever seen too.

kev9100 wrote: »
    David Bourke is a beast of a biology teacher. One of the funniest teachers I've ever seen too.
    Only for 5th yearsss.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Every teacher is carefully chosen by the Institute, However YOU may find some better than others. For me personally Pat Doyle is the best teacher but he only teaches physics. I found Kieth Hannigan for business excellent, Tara Lyons is really brilliant at chemistry and for maths your only choice for higher is Aidan Roantree who too is excellent. If you are not continuing from 5th year you will not have access to Susan Silke a really good biology teacher.

Pick at the start and remember you can always change.

theowen wrote: »
    It's just off Stephens green, so there's probably 2,000 apartments within a 5 minute walking distance. I think the school give advice as well.

A good chunk of the school do this so you won't be alone.

Thanks I just got a place in rathmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Janette1

theowen wrote: »
    There's 7,000 or so threads on this from last year, largely my doing...

Can only helpl you with business and biology. Willie Murphy's a great teacher. Has a story to go with EVERY defintiion etc so it sticks in your head. Test every second week so that keeps you on track.

Had Mona for biology. Test every week on what was covered the week before. No complaints, got me an A:)

Agree with the above, bar Biology as I had Michael O'Callaghan, I can't really rate Biology teachers as I'm in Love with the subject but I found him really good in general :D
    Willie for business is THE funniest teacher you'll ever have! Very clear too.
    For French, personally I found XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.... not good. French is a subject I am very good at and love and XXX made me dread going to class. :( not good.
    Geography, I had XXXXXXXXXX, soooooo borrrring but you get what you need to do well. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

* French: Corinne Gavenda - reaaaaly good!
    * Biology: Mona Murry
    * Business: Keith Hannigan (or William Murphy, he's good!)
    * Chemistry: Tara Lyons
    * English: Paul McCormack
    Cathy Sweeney
    Jim Lusby
    * Irish: Clare Greally
    * Maths: (O) : Jean Kelly

But yeah, CORINNE IS AMAZING... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not convinced of the validity of this thread at all.
    If you have a problem with the employees of a business, contact the business owners, do not post about them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

spurious wrote: »
    Not convinced of the validity of this thread at all.
    If you have a problem with the employees of a business, contact the business owners, do not post about them here.

I actually feel similar. I don't feel right naming teachers on here. I don't think they should be critised publically on boards because it is one of the most well known sites in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement