Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Irish

Options
  • 03-09-2010 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any books, CDs, DVDs that are good for learning Irish please?

I am going back to college (doing the leaving cert) in a week and will be doing French, but it's been years since I last did Irish.

To be honest, I never really 'understood' Irish, in Secondary school I was exempt from it because I couldn't understand it and I don't remember much from National School.

I am willing to try anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Teach yourself Irish
    Buntús Cainte 1,2 & 3

Grand books for beginners, I'd recommend getting the audio for them also, or see can you download them online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Teach yourself Irish
    Buntús Cainte 1,2 & 3

Grand books for beginners, I'd recommend getting the audio for them also, or see can you download them online
    Thanks very much.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Teach Yourself series can be fierce boring. I like the look of Turas Teanga.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Learning Irish" is a book I've heard good things about.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I will check them out.

Just noticed In my OP I said;
    be doing French, but it's been years since I last did Irish.

I am doing both French and Irish, but copied & pasted the same post from my French topic and forgot to change that bit there, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Personally I found "Learning Irish" by Mícheál Ó Siadhail to be the best book, but it's very grammar heavy and doesn't deal with standard Irish, so maybe not the best book for the Leaving Cert. Probably the best book to get started is the Buntús Cainte books, which will give you lots of conversational Irish. For grammar "Teach Yourself Irish Grammar" by Éamonn Ó Dónaill is good as well. I've heard Turas Teanga is great, haven't tried it myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I would suggest looking around your area for a Ciorcal Comhrá(conversation group). I am in one in Waterford and I have found it to be really helpful with my spoken Irish.

Go n-éirí an t-adh leat.:)

Thanks everyone.

I was rooting through some old school books tonight and found the following, would you recommend them?

Graimear an Draoi
    Ceartlitriu
    Foclóir

Thanks.

I had the first book for 1st year in school, but we never actually used it. IIRC, it's a reference grammar, and not particularly useful for the beginner. The second sounds like a spelling guide, and the third simply means "Dictionary".

Aard wrote: »
    I had the first book for 1st year in school, but we never actually used it. IIRC, it's a reference grammar, and not particularly useful for the beginner. The second sounds like a spelling guide, and the third simply means "Dictionary".
    Thank you very much for explaining, I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Personally I am big fan of free stuff, and no I'm not from Cavan ;)

http://www.erinsweb.com/gae_index.html
    Really good but can't seem to get past page 36 (I think some goldfish swam into my gene pool)

http://www.rte.ie/tv/turasteanga/tt.pdf

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hillers/BUNTUS-1.pdf

http://www.leyline.org/cra/languages/IrishPeople/

Verbs and stuff but with Audio
    http://www.corkirish.com/wordpress/verb-conjugation/beirim

I had a look at (the free bit) and this seems spot-on it's always nice to have an audio guide.
    http://www.ranganna.com/EolasCursa.aspx?id=52&Lang=en
    I would NEARLY consider buying the Beginners level 1 if it was available.

Ádh mór!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Thanks very much for those links and all the help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Can anyone recommend any books, CDs, DVDs that are good for learning Irish please?

I am going back to college (doing the leaving cert) in a week and will be doing French, but it's been years since I last did Irish.

To be honest, I never really 'understood' Irish, in Secondary school I was exempt from it because I couldn't understand it and I don't remember much from National School.

I am willing to try anything.

Thanks.

Note that Irish is taught like crap. I grew up speaking it, so yeah. :rolleyes:

Anywho, try to make it modern in your head. It's not an old dead language, it's actually awesome.

I'm making a source game in irish. Maybe it might get published sometime to gain support for speakers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nippoman

Hello everyone,
    I have recently started classes to repeat my leaving cert honours Irish, Its been almost 10 years since I did my leaving cert and I scraped a D at Ordinary level. I completley underestimated the task thqt iw ahead of me as I seem to have completley forgot the basics. Does anyone here know if weekly personal tuition is available in the Dublin 6 area? I think Il need some one on one lessons to get me up to speed.
    Cheers
    Paul

Irish grinds shouldn't be difficult to find. Check supermarket notice-boards and the like; a lot of students in UCD or trinity would be living in Dublin 6.

Advertisement