Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh...

Options
  • 03-09-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

just found out my biology teacher is pregnant and will be goin on maternity leave in february!:mad: i was hopin for an A so i take it thatll be out the window!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I would have felt the same as you if that had happened to me and I had a good teacher. Luckily Biology is a subject you don't even need a teacher for. If you study it inside out you'll get an A. I got a B1 and I didn't cover any of plants or ecology and my teacher sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I only had my proper biology teacher for 7 out of the 18 (approx) months of 5th and 6th year, and I got an A2. It's all about studying man... Only the lazy people blame crap results on their teacher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

just found out my biology teacher is pregnant and will be goin on maternity leave in february!:mad: i was hopin for an A so i take it thatll be out the window!:(

The Bio teacher should postpone her life for your LC?!:rolleyes:

Do your work and you'll be fine. Substitute teachers are so glad to get work that they're hardly going to waltz in and read the paper for the 3/4 months they're in the school. Don't go so hard on a teacher that you haven't even met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

don't worry, your teacher should have most of the course completed by that stage:) the sub hopefully won't be that shocking that in the last few months you'll lose any chance of an A. Don't stress about it too much yet, at least you'll have her until february at least!! my chem teacher went awol from september to january and i still managed to get an A:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You'll be fine, most of biology is learning off theory without any real understanding. Our teacher mainly just read out of the book and only went into detail the odd time. See if she'll cover the tougher chapters before Christmas and just leave ye with the easier stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

Same kind of thing happened me. I had the same teacher for French and Irish and she was amazing. She left around Easter on maternity leave when I was in 5th Year so I ended up with two different teachers for the rest of the year and two more different teachers for 6th year.

Oh and my English teacher left the school Christmas of 6th year and my Biology teacher got swapped for some random reason for 6th year.

It's rather annoying but there's not really anything you can do apart from putting your head down and getting a good grade for yourself. Best of luck :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your biology teacher isn't doing the exam, you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

My history teacher did the same, except she was out almost all of 6th year and was replaced with a younger teacher who was OK, but not nearly as good. It didn't matter. I worked hard, and got 95.4% in my LC. Don't make excuses and say "the A I expected is out the window". You don't get points for excuses. Just work hard, and you'll get the grade you deserve. If you don't get the grade you are capable of, it's your fault, not any teacher's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That would suggest that your teacher is doing the work and you're not. You'll be the one sitting the exam in June regardless of who your teacher is. Who's to say your sub teacher will not be as good or even better than your current teacher. If you do the work a change in teacher should not have any affect on your grade. You can't expect your teacher to put her life on hold and never have children just because she has a Leaving Cert class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

You'll be fine. I had 7 biology teachers between 5th and 6th year. Eventually they gave up and lumped us in with another class. 2 of our subs weren't even teachers. I went from failing with my actual teacher, to a B in honours in the actual leaving. I just got a really good revision book, got grinds from Christmas in 6th year, and basically learned the book off by heart. As mentioned above, biology is really just about learning things off. The only thing you need to really practice are the genetic crosses, but if you get her to do those with you before she leaves you'll be fine.

Also, I really doubt your school is going to leave you without a teacher for 3 months, you'll have some form of sub, and for all you know they might end up being better than your teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Although I agree that how well you do can depend on the teacher, Biology is a subject which, if the teacher has most of the course done, then it's up to you to study. My girlfriend absolutely hated her teacher, she had to spend a bit more time on biology then she had too because certain parts of the course weren't covered in class but she got her A1 in the end.

Advertisement