Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why study in Scotland?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Ok, so next year I'm going to be heading to college and I would like to go to Dundee, but my parents aren't so keen. At the moment it looks like I'll be commuting to Dublin, but to be honest I want to move out.

Basically, what are the pro's of studying in Scotland? I'll be studying science of some sort, if that matters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kanderson

Ok, so next year I'm going to be heading to college and I would like to go to Dundee, but my parents aren't so keen. At the moment it looks like I'll be commuting to Dublin, but to be honest I want to move out.

Basically, what are the pro's of studying in Scotland? I'll be studying science of some sort, if that matters?

hey im doing my degree in Dublin but going for my masters in Dundee. Been over there a few times past year. Great college, i only know from the engineering department but heard great things about the science department also. Pro's are the SAAS pay for your fees which means you get free university. For instance DCU fee's are 1538 euro a yr....With commuting to college in dublin it really depends honestly on the cost weigh up really wat it will cost you to travel in dunlin with expensive prices.....dundee is 14% cheaper then average cost in uk...it is really easy to survive on a budget over there and there student union is like pound drink.....so if u add up the cost of lving here and there den its really up to urself.....but moving out is million times better then living at home as u miss out on alot of stuff so dont get the full experience...since ur not scottish the SAAS dont give loans so if u needed a loan prob just go bank for that....also there applications is before january so you would need to act quicker to secure a place hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Kanderson wrote: »
    hey im doing my degree in Dublin but going for my masters in Dundee. Been over there a few times past year. Great college, i only know from the engineering department but heard great things about the science department also. Pro's are the SAAS pay for your fees which means you get free university. For instance DCU fee's are 1538 euro a yr....With commuting to college in dublin it really depends honestly on the cost weigh up really wat it will cost you to travel in dunlin with expensive prices.....dundee is 14% cheaper then average cost in uk...it is really easy to survive on a budget over there and there student union is like pound drink.....so if u add up the cost of lving here and there den its really up to urself.....but moving out is million times better then living at home as u miss out on alot of stuff so dont get the full experience...since ur not scottish the SAAS dont give loans so if u needed a loan prob just go bank for that....also there applications is before january so you would need to act quicker to secure a place hope that helps

Thanks. :)
    I'm definitely going to apply anyway. Just gotta convince the 'rents. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI/GB Colleges

Good luck with the applications, and the persuasion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Check out queens/university of ulster also. There's fees but you don't have to pay them back until you are in employment after graduating. Even Belfast is cheaper to live than Dublin(Derry/Coleraine cheaper again) and from what I've heard cheaper than Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭AndRoiD

Just a quick side question,

Does anyone know if its possible to get fee's paid to do a masters in scotland if you are from the North?

Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

I'm pretty sure it's only first time undergraduate students from Scotland or anywhere in eu outside of uk, so doubly sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

the saas do not provide the fees for masters but with regard to undergrads you can get a fee free degree regardless of whether you already have a undergrad from the eu as long as its NOT from scotland. This is what i'm doing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

so unless your loaded or want to pay back pretty big loans then it's not going to happen in scotland (masters)?

if i remember correctly masters are cheaper then irish masters (that is if you don't qualify for free masters in ireland). you can get student loans and theres funds for specific courses if you've got a good academic record.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

:)
    Kanderson
    Is it true that the SAAS pay for your MSc fees? Even if you are from Ireland?
    I am considering an MSc in Occupational Therapy.

Kanderson wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SuperVeech

Being surrounded by sexy Scottish accents all the time mmmmmmmmmmmm laughbounce3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kanderson

no they don't..saas are only for undergraduate fee's...the reason im choosing there is because most colleges in ireland masters in my field are around the 10 grand mark where as dundee is only 3500...now add in accomadation from this years prices wud round the figure up to 8000...cost of living there is far cheaper so would come out below doing a masters here....i just feel if i get out the country for my masters i get that experience of independence but also dont get stuck in Ireland after my degree

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

do you know if you get free's in Scotland only for your first degree.

I was just thinking of veterinary/medicine over there.
    I already have an engineering degree...
    T

terencemc wrote: »
    do you know if you get free's in Scotland only for your first degree.

I was just thinking of veterinary/medicine over there.
    I already have an engineering degree...
    T

it was in my situation having a arts degree in classics/psych from ireland and I have now started a fine art degree in scotland. unless you're thinking of graduate med.

Advertisement