Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraq becoming a nuclear wasteland?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Thanks to joebucks for posting this slightly offtopic subject in another thread.
    I think it deserves it's own thread to be honest. Is the U.S. military intentionally trying to destroy Iraqi lives for generations to come by using tons of DU ammunition or are they just using their theaters of war for toxic waste dumping grounds? A bit like how they use us to dump their sodium fluorosilicate into our drinking water just to avoid the cost of safe disposal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

This really is crazy stuff. More fact than CT.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/toxic-legacy-of-us-assault-on-fallujah-worse-than-hiroshima-2034065.html

Makes the Wikileaks 'Collateral Murder' vids look like child's play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

They should be outlawed for use in urban combat situations IMO.
    +What's with this forum and sensationalist thread titles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Sparticle wrote: »
    +What's with this forum and sensationalist thread titles?

If I post it in politics I'll be banned for posting CT there. :rolleyes:

Feel free to reword it and post in politics forum though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

demonspawn wrote: »

This isn't a CT I can't see why'd they move it. Depleted uranium was used and it's long term health effects are disputed, seems like an interesting topic of debate. But alas i'm too lazy to get into a mod argument ;)

Sparticle wrote: »

Yes for sure and Tony Blair was on the Late Late going on about how the child mortality rate has decreased to a 3rd of what it was under Sadam( 1.24)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0jH59oAm70

Where's that Tony?? in the Green Zone??

• Advertisement

I'll stick it over and see how it goes down. Couldn't give a feck if they bar me from politics.. CT is much better craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

joebucks wrote: »
    This really is crazy stuff. More fact than CT.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/toxic-legacy-of-us-assault-on-fallujah-worse-than-hiroshima-2034065.html

Makes the Wikileaks 'Collateral Murder' vids look like child's play.

The kids in that link look like they were born a good bit before America attacked Fallujah...

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    The kids in that link look like they were born a good bit before America attacked Fallujah...

Are you seriously trying to insinuate that these are not victims of DU? Are you f**king kidding me? Who would lie about something like that and for what purpose?

I'd be very careful if I were you, there are people here on boards with personal experience with DU and you will invite their full wrath upon yourself. You have no right to even suggest such a thing and you really ought to apologize for that incredibly insensitive remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are you seriously trying to insinuate that these are not victims of DU? Are you f**king kidding me? Who would lie about something like that and for what purpose?

I'd be very careful if I were you, there are people here on boards with personal experience with DU and you will invite their full wrath upon yourself. You have no right to even suggest such a thing and you really ought to apologize for that incredibly insensitive remark.

Way to over-react! The point he was making is that the article and caption to the picture claim that birth defects have been caused as a result of the munitions used in the US assault on Falujah in November 2004 i.e. The Battle of Fallujah i.e 5 and a half years ago. The point is those children in the picture are not under 5 and a half years old, they look much older. No one is denying that DU can cause illness but the point being made is that the image doesn't fit the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Way to over-react! The point he was making is that the article and caption to the picture claim that birth defects have been caused as a result of the munitions used in the US assault on Falujah in November 2004 i.e. The Battle of Fallujah i.e 5 and a half years ago. The point is those children in the picture are not under 5 and a half years old, they look much older. No one is denying that DU can cause illness but the point being made is that the image doesn't fit the article.

That was exactly my point.

Relax the cax demonspawn.

• Advertisement

First of all my sister did a couple of tours in Iraq and suffered an unknown lump in her throat, so this affects me personally.

You're insinuating that a reputable mainstream newspaper would print pictures without being sure of their authenticity. I agree these kids don't look they're age but they also certainly don't look like any kids I've ever seen in my life. Do you know many five year-olds with acute genetic birth defects caused by DU? Do you know what affects DU may have on hormone production? Severe genetic mutations can cause all sorts of growth problems, as you may already know.

No one is denying that DU and possibly other weapons used during the Battle of Fallujah in Nov 2004 have caused/are causing illness / birth defects etc. But IMO the children in that image don't look under 5 years old and so don't match the article. I checked the getty images website and that picture was taken in Nov 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xone

No one is denying that DU and possibly other weapons used during the Battle of Fallujah in Nov 2004 have caused/are causing illness / birth defects etc. But IMO the children in that image don't look under 5 years old and so don't match the article. I checked the getty images website and that picture was taken in Nov 2009.

It's estimated that 320 tons of depleted uranium were dropped on Iraq during the 1st Gulf War, that's almost 20 years ago.

All radioactive material, with the potential to cause cancer in anyone exposed to it..

So you think these birth defects and high cancer rates are just 'isolated incidents' or 'better detection' ...some kind of anti-american propaganda? :rolleyes:

It's been well known by military for decades that exposure to DU causes many diseases but unfortunately you have a large population who are just plain ignorant.

War is a multi-billion dollar industry and it doesn't matter how many innocent people get sick or die from these weapons as long as the people in charge are turning over a profit each year.

Nothing will get in the way of profits.
    Eisenhower back in 1961 warned people about the dangers of the military industrial complex

Clearly, nobody listened to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

First of all my sister did a couple of tours in Iraq and suffered an unknown lump in her throat, so this affects me personally.

You said your half sister suffered a non cancerous goitre on her neck. She didn't fight in the battle of fallujah (american females don't serve on the frontlines). She served
    in transport. She doesn't think it was caused by du. Her doctor doesn't think so. Only you seem to believe that. Also how happy would she be to know you are using her ailment dishonestly to score points and make another poster feel guilty for making a valid point on the internet.
    You're insinuating that a reputable mainstream newspaper would print pictures without being sure of their authenticity.
    Yesterday you were saying you don't believe anything in the mainstream media and that it is a us government propaganda machine. Or do you only trust it when it backs up your already conceived notions?

But for the record, i think the use of du in a built up civilian area is abhorrent, sadistic and at the very least completely reckless. Especially given that there was no threat of armour from iraqi insurgents.

xone wrote: »
    So you think these birth defects and high cancer rates are just 'isolated incidents' or 'better detection' ...some kind of anti-american propaganda? :rolleyes:

Well done. You manged to invent quotes that neither I nor anbody else said in this thread. I've seen mis-quoting in my time but you've taken it to a new level by simply inventing quotes. Bravo.

still no mention of any of this in Assange's warlogs

Advertisement