Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilderness Pamlico 100 Kayak

Options
  • 03-09-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a Wilderness Pamlico 100 Kayak.
    I've only had a sit-on before and Like the wide open cockpit.
    I would like to use it on Lakes, Rivers, and short trips on the Coast. e.g. out to Dalkey Island.
    The very helpful guy in the shop said he feels it's unsuitible for that type of use as it wouldn't be good in open water with big waves as it has a large opening and could fill with water (even with a spray skirt).
    Question is... has anyone got one and can tell me if it's any good in open water? Or just give details?
    Cheers.
    SeaniO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

The Wilderness Pamlico is fine in relatively flat, calm water but isn't really built for any sort of chop. The spraydeck for it (and it's specifically made for the pamlico) is more of a splashdeck (it's nylon, not neoprene) so it won't exactly be watertight.

If you can limit the coastal trips to fine, clam days you will probably be ok but if the budget can stretch to a Tsunami or even a Pamlico 120 you will give yourself a few more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SeaniO

Chiorino wrote: »
    The Wilderness Pamlico is fine in relatively flat, calm water but isn't really built for any sort of chop. The spraydeck for it (and it's specifically made for the pamlico) is more of a splashdeck (it's nylon, not neoprene) so it won't exactly be watertight.

If you can limit the coastal trips to fine, clam days you will probably be ok but if the budget can stretch to a Tsunami or even a Pamlico 120 you will give yourself a few more options.
    Cheers man. That's kinda what I thought. I won't be going on massive tours, just pottering around the cliffs round Wicklow off the Black Castle is the plan. Another option I'm looking at is the Dagger Approach 10. It's billed as an all rounder any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

The Dagger looks like an ok boat alright, just a bit more expensive. The main difference at a glance seems to be that the Dagger has a skeg which is handy. The storage hatch however seems to be a bit smaller than the Pamlico and I reckon the hull shape would make it less suitable at sea (particularily for breaking any waves). The nose of the Pamlico is definately more "sea kayak" like.

Advertisement