Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solicitor with a engineering background?? Any views?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

All,

I've been toying with the idea of taking a different direction in my career over the last year or so.

I have always had an interest in law and have always considered progressing either to becoming a solicitor or a barrister.

Do you guys have any views on the pros/cons of becoming a legal practictioer, solicitor or barrister, with a civil engineering background?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Speaking form an IT perspective, my ex-Manager took up law (AFAIK he did the route of night classes and taking the Irish FE1 ). Last time I met him, he seemed to be enjoying his new career path, though he was still in the apprentice solicitor stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Only thing is I don't think the Law industry is in great shape - jobs wise at the moment.

But If you make it youll get much better €€€ than engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you have a qulification in Engineering already and progress into law I would have thought (personal opinion, no basis in fact) that you would be in a small minority of lawyers who have a good technical background. Would you be able to carve out a niche for yourself in Law as an expert who can translate engineering terms and problems so that the lawyers can understand them properly to argue the case.

Good luck if you do decide to go back and study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I did recently meet a guy from my engineering class who went out of college and straight into law. He's working for a big firm in the city centre now.
    He can't be that long qualified, as we graduated in 05..but he seems to really like it and he's happy.It's definitely a possibility.Also you would be in a niche....you might find it opens up careers for you that require legal knowledge and analytical skills. Could be okay..

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Becoming a patent attourney might also be an option. I would expect having an engineering background would be a big plus with that.

Also, becoming a patent examiner might be an option. Here's a link to a job advertised last September (in Munich/ The Hague/Berlin): http://www.epo.org/about-us/jobs/vacancies/engineers-scientists.html

(I don't know how much demand there is at the moment, but might be worth checking out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

I would say either move this or repost it again in the legal discussion forum is located in Soc.

I doubt many people with a legal background which could be helpful will stumble across this here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

A civil background would certainly be an advantage (compared to someone who exclusively studied law) - you'd be able to leverage your work experience, analytical skills etc.

The big problem is that both the legal and civil sectors are taking a pounding employment- and work-wise. You might struggle firstly to get a legal position, and then to get enough clients to really use your skills properly.

Advertisement