Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish

Options
  • 03-09-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi I am repeating the Hons Irish in 2011 need a lot of help, where is the official site to download the correct curriculum does anyone know? And also if there is anyone giving grinds in either Wicklow or South Dub let me know thatnks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Cant help you with grinds, but the curriculum is available on www.education.ie.

2011 is the final year of the particular Irish curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Hey, selling awesome A/B grade answers (my hard-marking teacher corrected them) for most Q's on pros and filliocht and a few aiste, if you're interested let me know via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

frulewis wrote: »
    Hi I am repeating the Hons Irish in 2011 need a lot of help, where is the official site to download the correct curriculum does anyone know? And also if there is anyone giving grinds in either Wicklow or South Dub let me know thatnks!

OMG I was just bout to start a similar thread!
    I'm doin hons irish this year by myself, well I'm gettin grinds like! I'm not going to school!
    Doable? Just want a C3!
    I got a A2 in pass in 2009, did NO study for it then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    Hey, selling awesome A/B grade answers (my hard-marking teacher corrected them) for most Q's on pros and filliocht and a few aiste, if you're interested let me know via PM.

Steer well clear of learned off answers if you want to do well in Irish. The SEC are not fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

no i'm not gonna buy any notes Im repeating because I want to do Primary teaching but also because I love the language and want to get back into speaking it full time which I used to be able to do but I figure I'm gonna need some help thanks though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

spurious wrote: »
    Steer well clear of learned off answers if you want to do well in Irish. The SEC are not fools.

Woah never said learn them off. They're helpful for the structuring of answers, content and actual understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    Woah never said learn them off. They're helpful for the structuring of answers, content and actual understanding.

I would disagree. I'm not saying that your answers aren't of a high standard, just that it wouldn't actually be worthwhile paying for them. Plenty of 'A' standard handouts came my way all through 5th and 6th year and I can honestly say that studying them won't give you the skills you need to deal with whatever is thrown at you on the day.

What you need is to develop your own technique amd structure, and form a pool of good vocabulary/sentences. Studying other answers will certainly help, but honestly the best thing that you can do for things like essays etc. is prepare as much as you possibly can using core vocab. and do practice answers in order to apply what you have learned.

tl;dr even if someone else has produced A grade stuff, you still need to develop your own way of articulating yourself. For this reason, buying said answers won't help (imo) and even if they did, you can get plenty of A grade sample answers for free online and from your teacher. (Sorry LadyGaga! and no offense meant.:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 An Fear Bocht

spurious wrote: »

I'd agree there; success in Irish is based on the subtle appreciation of the structure of the language as well as the way it conveys the meaning of the answer. Our Irish teacher made a point of getting us to write our essays from scratch; the Irish teacher of the previous year's group insisted on prepared essays. Ironically, that class got a fair few A1s last year whereas nobody in our class this year did (not everyone was happy with the way the marking scheme was applied; I lodged for a recheck). I know the original poster didn't intend to memorise essays, but any kind of block-memorisation simply indicates a lack of an ability to hack Irish in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

i don't think that it's a good thing but i did pretty much only get an a1 due to learned off answers. . i have almost no spoken irish. stupid but that's the way the course seemed to work for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lctake2 wrote: »
    i don't think that it's a good thing but i did pretty much only get an a1 due to learned off answers. . i have almost no spoken irish. stupid but that's the way the course seemed to work for me

This may have worked in the past, but every single Chief Examiner's report in almost all subjects is now mentioning 'pre-prepared' answers, so you can be sure they will hammer them in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement