Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for College?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

How many points and what kind of grades do I need in my Leaving Certificate, to go to college for a Computer Software Engineering course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Any particular college or county you want to be in?
    For example: NUI Maynooth- Computer Science & Software Engineering
    You need: at least 2 Higher level C3 and 4 Ordinary level D3, which must include English, Irish and a Ordinary level B3/Higher Level D3 in Maths
    It was 350 points this year.
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/science_CSSEng.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I would be aiming for something in either Dublin, Kildare or Carlow.
    Also, I'm officially exempted from Irish by the Department of Education, would that prevent me from entering a college if it requires Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Software Engineering as in Software Development?

Mak_United wrote: »
    Software Engineering as in Software Development?

Yes, Software Development (ideally C++). Maynooth seems to be a good place as it's not that far from where I'll live next week (Newbridge, Kildare), anyone went there?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

http://web.itcarlow.ie/courses_detail.asp?id=99&top_section=2&lower_section=10&lower2_section=35&uid=itcarlow

There's a link to Carlow. Supposedly 1 of the best in Ireland for Software Development.

Course Details:
    Code: CW238
    Course Places: 30
    Duration: 4 Years
    Grants Available:€ Grants Available NFQ Level 8
    CAO Entry: Yes
    Points Range:
    Max 360 Aver 333 Cut-Off 315

Requirements Leaving Certificate:
    2 subjects at Higher Level grade C3 or better. 4 subjects at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better. Subjects must include: Mathematics and English or Irish at Ordinary level grade D3 or better. Mature applicants will be interviewed and assessed on an individual basis.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my parents recommended me the Institute of Technology in Carlow and I've considered it as well. I was just wondering for the record, does anyone know the requirements for Trinity College? I think they do Software Development there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sobanek wrote: »
    Yeah, my parents recommended me the Institute of Technology in Carlow and I've considered it as well. I was just wondering for the record, does anyone know the requirements for Trinity College? I think they do Software Development there :D

To be honest, your best option is to go to the website of all the relevant colleges to find out the details.

No matter which college/university you go to, you will end up with a Level 8 degree.

So do a bit of research yourself and come back here with specific questions.

Advertisement