Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating higher irish

Options
  • 03-09-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey i am just wondering how hard it is to do higher level irish within the one year as i am repeating hopefully to get enough points for primary teaching. I have never done higher Irish but got a b2 in ordinary last year with no effort at all. If anyone can help that would be brilliant :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

not trying to be negative but i would say very hard. the course is huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

the course is huge but it is doable in one year, especially if that's the only subject that you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sorry to butt in here but I dont want to start a new thread...

Im currently doing higher Irish...got a C3 in my summer test...starting 6th year now.

My question is the higher and ordinary courses very different? I mean If for whatever reason I decided to do ordinary after the mocks or whatever would I find I haven't studied any of the relevant poems and such?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

hey i am just wondering how hard it is to do higher level irish within the one year as i am repeating hopefully to get enough points for primary teaching. I have never done higher Irish but got a b2 in ordinary last year with no effort at all. If anyone can help that would be brilliant :D

I'm same as you...cept I have the points, and the only subject I'm doing all year is hons irish! (not going to school!)
    I got a A2 aswell....WE CAN DO IT!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Jaafa wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here but I dont want to start a new thread...

Im currently doing higher Irish...got a C3 in my summer test...starting 6th year now.

My question is the higher and ordinary courses very different? I mean If for whatever reason I decided to do ordinary after the mocks or whatever would I find I haven't studied any of the relevant poems and such?

Thanks.

You'd have all of the poetry and literature for the ordinary course covered already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

dambarude wrote: »
    You'd have all of the poetry and literature for the ordinary course covered already.

Nice. So If I wasn't happy with my mock result and didn't have time to catch up I could do ordinary without much problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

How do you get on with your Irish teacher cos I'd be saying have a chat there. I would be slow to offer advice as I don't know your level or work ethic if that makes sense. However, it is definately possible. I'v seen people only spend a few months on it and get honours. It's not easy by any means, but if you really want something and work hard enough it's a definate possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

People say that the LC is getting easier; if you ask me, HL Irish as it is right now is definitely one subject that is not easy by any means. I usually call it a 'gauntlet'. (Unless you go to an all-Irish school or you are from the Gaeltacht of course).Personally I thought that one of the comprehensions and one of the An Triail questions this year were among the hardest they've ever put on it...

Anyway, you'll need to do Stair, all those poems, stories, practice essays, pages and pages of vocabulary, practice listening, do oral practice, do An Triail (well, that's what we did) and practice comprehensions. I don't want to be negative either, just be aware that it is a huge, merciless course. If you're just doing Irish then I reckon it is possible in a year. :cool:

Advertisement