Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICSA Exams

Options
  • 02-09-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about doing ICSA exams in Dublin? Do any of the colleges offer classes?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lanners

Just bumping this as I am interested too

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arfheabhas

Hi, I'm doing the irish corporate secretaryship exam myself but its my first of the ICSA exams so not sure what i'm getting myself in for. I emailed the The Irish Region Student Group as I found there details on the ICSA website. I emailed them for information @ icsastudentgroup@gmail.com. They just sent out the email with the course schedule today.

Irish Region Student Group
    Lecture Schedule – November 2010
    Corporate Governance:-
    Tuesday, 5th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Tuesday, 19th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Tuesday, 2nd November 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Tuesday, 9th November 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    The Corporate Governance Course will be held at William Fry, First Floor, Fitzwilton House, Wilton
    Place, Dublin 2. The lecturer will be David Fitzgibbon. Please ask for David when you arrive at the
    offices of William Fry.
    Corporate Financial Management:-
    Friday, 8th October 2010 - 5.45-9.15p.m.
    Friday, 15
    th October 2010 - 5.45-9.15p.m.
    Tuesday, 26
    Friday, 29
    Friday, 5
    th November 2010 - 5.45-9.15p.m.
    Friday, 12
    th November 2010 - 5.45-9.15p.m.
    The Corporate Financial Management Course will be held at Griffith College, Griffith Campus, South
    Circular Road, Dublin 8. The lecturer will be Michael O’Grady. Please ask for Michael when you
    arrive at Griffith College.
    Corporate Secretaryship:-
    Thursday, 7th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Thursday, 14th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Thursday, 21st October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Thursday, 28th October 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Thursday, 11th November 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    Thursday, 18th November 2010 - 6.00-9.00p.m.
    The Corporate Secretaryship Course will be held at PricewaterhouseCoopers, One Spencer Dock,
    North Wall Quay, Dublin 1. The lecturer will be Brendan O’Connor. Please ask for Brendan when you
    arrive at the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
    Corporate Administration:-
    Saturday, 2nd October 2010 – 10.00a.m. - 5.00p.m. (with one hour for lunch)
    Friday, 8
    th October 2010 - 6.15-9.15p.m.
    Friday, 15
    Friday, 29
    Friday, 5
    th November 2010 - 6.15-9.15p.m.
    The Corporate Administration Course will be held at Griffith College, Griffith Campus, South Circular
    Road, Dublin 8. The lecturer will be James O’Connor. Please ask for James when you arrive at
    Griffith College.
    If you have any queries regarding these lectures or if you would like to enrol please contact
    icsastudentgroup@gmail.com.
    Please be advised that, unfortunately, until we know the number of students interested in
    attending the lectures we will be unable to confirm that they will go ahead.

Hi arfheabhas,

Thanks a million for that information. I'm going to get in touch with them as I would definitely be interested in doing a prep course, subject to price.

I am also doing Corporate Secretaryship as my first exam, hopefully we can be of some help to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

I got that email too arfheabhas. Was wondering....maybe one of you guys can answer this.
    Am I right in saying I have pay 600 euro to ICSA first to register for a module? If so, no good for me as I'm just out of college and can't afford that kind of money.

Yup, 600 (sterling) per module to register. They are pretty pricey.

If you waited till after this week to register, you'd go in under the new CSQS scheme and the fee structure is different (although I'm not sure it's much cheaper, you'd have to work it out). You'd be doing your first exam(s) next June and you'd have to sit the "case study" module after you'd passed all the others.

http://http://www.icsa.org.uk/join-us/study-to-be-a-chartered-secretary/the-qualifying-scheme

Fees for new scheme here: http://http://www.icsa.org.uk/join-us/study-to-be-a-chartered-secretary/how-and-where-to-study1#cost

• Advertisement

Yeah fairly pricey all right! I would check your exemptions though. As I have a degree in a related discipline (Law) I got 4 exemptions and only have four exams to do. I am doing one exam now and will then be transferred on to new course with 3 exams left. I was told if I waited for the new course I would only be entitled to 2 exemptions and would have to do 6 exams. Think the new course will be slightly cheaper but to be honest I thinks its worth it not to have to do two extra exams.

Lanners, yeah definitely it always helps to have someone else studying aswell! Think its 250 for the course- bit expensive for 6 lectures considering you get the text, past papers and sample answers from ICSA. I emailed her asking what the course entails and what you get for the money. Will let you know when I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

I have 4 exemptions too and 4 to do. Think I'm gonna wait and either do more exams under the new scheme or not bother with icsa at all. Paying that kind of dough is such a gamble....if I can't get a suitable job then I'm really wasting my money. Decisions, decisions.... :( Damn this economy!

arfheabhas wrote: »
    Lanners, yeah definitely it always helps to have someone else studying aswell! Think its 250 for the course- bit expensive for 6 lectures considering you get the text, past papers and sample answers from ICSA. I emailed her asking what the course entails and what you get for the money. Will let you know when I hear back.

That would be great, thanks. It is quite expensive on top of the registration fees. I haven't got the materials yet from ICSA but I from the syllabus it seems that none of it is enormously difficult to understand, just a matter of swallowing all the information, and I think I'd be happy enough doing that on my own. I'll wait and see what she says I guess.

Haven't heard back from her yet but recieved the study text from ICSA in the post today. I just recieved the book- Its the same as the online study text on the ICSA website- in the study skills section when you log in. Its Corporate Secretaryship as opposed to Irish Corporate Secretaryship so all legislation mentioned is the english version. I have emailed ICSA to give out- we paid the same for this module as for any other so I would expect that we would be given appropriate course material and not have to adapt an English text. I have looked at the past papers and they penalise for basis answers on the englise regime which would be fair enough if the study text they sent out was not based on the English regime also. Fairly annoyed at that as it just makes the course that much harder.

TBH the course in Dublin pricey. It will hopefully run through all the irish differences and that would be the only reason I would do it as other than that the material seems to be fairly straight forward.

Wow, that is extremely annoying.

I don't think it's unreasonable to presume that when you are paying 600 pounds for a course called Irish Company Secretaryship, that the study text included in that price would actually cover the appropriate material. Really not impressed with that.

And I really don't want to be forced into spending 250 extra just because their official text doesn't match the exam syllabus.

• Advertisement

I emailed ICSA yesterday basic jist was were there any supplements for the Irish Secretaryship Course setting out differences, practise irish questions. I told them that when I registered I presumed I would get material for the Irish course and not have to adapt an English text.

They replied today..
    Dear Ms. Dunne

I have informed my colleague Jermaine Edwards to post a supplement out to you and he has confirmed that it will be posted out by the end of this week.

Regards

Shelaine Kissoon
    Students Administrator

Will let you know what its like when I get it but presume that they will send the supplement to everyone on the course now.

Well..

The courses are no longer being offered, well for corporate secretaryship anyway, not enough of an uptake. I got the supplement in the post today and it looks good enough to be honest, 350 pages, mirrors the other text but with the Irish law used. Says to use the other book aswell.

Yeah I got that email, I had pretty much decided not to do it anyway.

Somebody from ICSA rang me during the week to say I'd have the materials (including the supplement) next week, glad to hear it's useful.

Let the cramming begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bijon

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here has been affected by the changes in the ICSA exams? I passed one on the previous exam route and had 4 exemptions now they are telling me that I have no exemtions and that the exam I passed has been wrote off!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Hi,

Just tentatively considering taking these on. Whats the general consensus on it, in terms of workload etc? I am coming from a legal background, so I would have 2 exemptions.

Just really looking for some basic guidance from anyone who has completed this course, or is currently studying for it.

Cheers.

Advertisement