Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds famous buildings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Newgrange
    newgrange-aerial.jpg

Stonehenge
    stonehenge-wallpaper-1.jpg

The Pyramids
    Pyramids-of-giza.jpg

These are some of the oldest and bestknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The Eiffle Tower, Empire State Building, Sears Tower, The Golden Gate bridge, Tower Bridge London, Big Ben, Casa Mila, Barcelona Pavillion, The leaning tower of Pisa, CN Tower Toronto, Sydney Opera House, Branderburger Gate Berlin, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Guggenheim Museum New York, Pompidou Centre Paris,..... the list goes on!

RKQ :eek:, what, no pictures? :D

The Great Wall of China, Parthanon, Acropolis, etc, etc,
    The list could go on and on, I'm sure it could run into hundreds if need be, but a little direction is needed from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The list is endless. It did bring an interesting building I only recently discovered to mind though, the llyods building in London (right next to the Swiss Tower), which has some kind of awesome steampunk industrial thing going on. The elevators run on the outside to save internal space, Id love to know how well the doors seal though !

450px-LloydsBuilding_HiRes01.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

RKQ :eek:, what, no pictures? :D

The list could go on and on, I'm sure it could run into hundreds if need be, but a little direction is needed from the OP.

Im looking for something thats not to hard to make(it doesnt have to be really easy, its a construction studies project) like the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao would be too hard to make and if possible have something special about it, not just that it looks good or is new. Like the empire estate building cos its the tallest building in New York.

• Advertisement

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Im looking for something thats not to hard to make(it doesnt have to be really easy, its a construction studies project) ...and if possible have something special about it

CN Tower Toronto - simple shape, the concrete tower could easily be formed in plywood.

It is famous, it is beautiful and it has a glass floor. I really enjoyed walking on it! Check it out on youtube.

Heres a photo PoorUncleTom:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Toronto%27s_CN_Tower.jpg

Im not even making it from wood. It will be shaped by cardboard and foam stuff. So the square shape doesnt even matter.

Im not even making it from wood. It will be shaped by cardboard and foam stuff. So the square shape doesnt even matter.

What square shape??? :confused:
    The concrete tower would be easy to make from card or foam stuff.

You have been given a lot of good ideas, why not google if you need more examples, afterall its supposed to be your project.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Im looking for something thats not to hard to make(it doesnt have to be really easy, its a construction studies project) like the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao would be too hard to make and if possible have something special about it, not just that it looks good or is new. Like the empire estate building cos its the tallest building in New York.

What are your examiners looking for?

If its a construction studies project, do you need to see things like roof trusses?
    The empire state will just end up like a few 2x4's stacked vertically and it'll be *huge* :)

Could you do a model where you could lift off the roof and see the arrangement of wall?
    I'd say keep it to one of the simpler smaller modernist buildings - one of the houses.
    You could think about the "Mies Van der Rohe Farnsworth House" - very famous.

Google the words between the " " above under "Images".
    Simple plan. Nice column details. Simple form.

Hope this helps.

De.Lite.Touch.

What are your examiners looking for?

If its a construction studies project, do you need to see things like roof trusses?
    The empire state will just end up like a few 2x4's stacked vertically and it'll be *huge* :)

Could you do a model where you could lift off the roof and see the arrangement of wall?
    I'd say keep it to one of the simpler smaller modernist buildings - one of the houses.
    You could think about the "Mies Van der Rohe Farnsworth House" - very famous.

Google the words between the " " above under "Images".
    Simple plan. Nice column details. Simple form.

Hope this helps.

De.Lite.Touch.

All we need to make is a model of any building that is of some importance. There does not need to be any inside and you dont need to see any frame. Our teacher actually marks the project for us and sends the results to the State Exams Commission, all they need to see is that some thought was put into it and that a lot of time and effort was used. He reccommended that I make A model instead of furniture as they stand out more.

• Advertisement

All we need to make is a model of any building that is of some importance. There does not need to be any inside and you dont need to see any frame. Our teacher actually marks the project for us and sends the results to the State Exams Commission, all they need to see is that some thought was put into it and that a lot of time and effort was used. He reccommended that I make A model instead of furniture as they stand out more.

Well, the Farnsworth House is of some importance.

You could try the Eiffel Tower or La Defense, but they might be a bit more work.

Hope this helps.

De.Lite.Touch

Well, the Farnsworth House is of some importance.

You could try the Eiffel Tower or La Defense, but they might be a bit more work.

Hope this helps.

De.Lite.Touch

Thanks,
    I just decided to make a model of my whole school.

Thanks,
    I just decided to make a model of my whole school.

Is it famous?

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

My son is making a model of one of my designs, its not famous yet either!!:D (or indeed Built!!)

Is it famous?

De.Lite.Touch

Its not famous it just has to be of some importance to me or famous.

I think that your son making a model of one of your buildings is cheatingas he will have access to your plans and other models and will not have to work everything out for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Newgrange
    newgrange-aerial.jpg

Stonehenge
    stonehenge-wallpaper-1.jpg

The Pyramids
    Pyramids-of-giza.jpg

These are some of the oldest and bestknown.
    New gange isn't world known, sadly.
    Not like some of the others.
    RKQ wrote: »
    The Eiffle Tower, Empire State Building, Sears Tower, The Golden Gate bridge, Tower Bridge London, Big Ben, Casa Mila, Barcelona Pavillion, The leaning tower of Pisa, CN Tower Toronto, Sydney Opera House, Branderburger Gate Berlin, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Guggenheim Museum New York, Pompidou Centre Paris,..... the list goes on!
    While these are some of MY favourites out there. and all well know among ourselves and other professionals, the average alyperson won't instantly recognise these ones.
    One is only a wall :D:D:D.
    The other two, are more easily recognised, but strangely the names wouldn't be. I do think that those kind of iconic buildings are best.
    I think that your son making a model of one of your buildings is cheatingas he will have access to your plans and other models and will not have to work everything out for himself
    You also have access to most famous buildings out there if you look online.
    I also think its quite ironic that you say he is cheating (when not working it all out himself), when you are here online, looking for OUR suggestions for YOUR leaving cert project.

My suggestion would be to go with an iconic building that is instantly recognaised. My top 5; in order;
    The Opera House, - The one i'd do. And yes it is simply THE opera house.
    Notre Dame - This could be quite impressive if use a <blank> to make the <blank>
    The Crysler Building - My favourite, and one of NYs easiest recognised, more unique than the empire state.
    The Colluseum
    The Eiffle tower, tricky, but why would you go for the easiest.

Mellor wrote: »

They're still on the job, I hear they'll be tendering for the roof by 2020.....:p

While these are some of MY favourites out there. and all well know among ourselves and other professionals, the average Layperson won't instantly recognise these ones.
    I'd have to disagree 100%. Its not fair to Laypeople.
    Anyway the brief asks for a famous building not one instantly recognised by every Layperson in the land.
    The Opera House, - The one i'd do. And yes it is simply THE opera house.

Only in Austrialia is it known as the Opera House. On this Continent its known as the Sydney Opera House as we Europeans refer to the Paris Opera House as simply "The Opera House".:)
    The Royal Opera House is in London. There is the Cork Opera House etc.

That wasn't clear from your original post, that there was an "or" factor. Good luck with it, whatever you do.
    You're confusing my post with No. 6.

But as far as it goes, I don't see how it can be cheating.
    First, No. 6's son building a model has nothing to do with you building a model.
    Second, I referred you to the Farnsworth House, a relatively small and simple building that can be seen online on a number of websites.
    Third, unless I have totally misjudged him, I'd say No. 6 is very particular in the standard of his work and his son may have a harder job ahead of him than you do :)

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Well his teacher is happy enough and he knows what I do as I have done some work for him!! He has to write to me for a copy of the plans!! I could refuse to let him have them and get a free divorce!!!:D

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree 100%. Its not fair to Laypeople.
    Anyway the brief asks for a famous building not one instantly recognised by every Layperson in the land.

It's the leaving cert practical project. In my opinion, choosing a building that is easiest recognised, while still being demanding (obv don't spend 5 minutes on a lathe and go with the spire) in terms of skills needed is best.
    There are not going to be giving out makes for your knowledge of architectural masterpieces. It's about your ability to make it. The person marking it will be drawn more to a piece instantly recognises.
    Only in Austrialia is it known as the Opera House. On this Continent its known as the Sydney Opera House as we Europeans refer to the Paris Opera House as simply "The Opera House".:)
    The Royal Opera House is in London. There is the Cork Opera House etc
    wow, do you just not understand humour.
    Of course i'm aware that there are other opera houses. :rolleyes: and that its not actually called or refered to as "simply the opera house". I even made "THE" nice and big to highlight the fact that I was tongue in cheek.

Anyway, it's still THE Opera house :D:D:D,
    The one in Paris is The Palais Garnier, or L'Opera de Paris
    London is called The Royal Opera House or simply Covent Garden.

As for Cork..........I'll let somebody think of one

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

It's the leaving cert practical project. In my opinion, choosing a building that is easiest recognised, while still being demanding (obv don't spend 5 minutes on a lathe and go with the spire) in terms of skills needed is best.
    There are not going to be giving out makes for your knowledge of architectural masterpieces. It's about your ability to make it. The person marking it will be drawn more to a piece instantly recognises.

While I agree an assessor will grant marks for recognizability of a project, a student who produces a model of a signature building together with a actual understanding of why the practical aspects of the building are special should score well.

I'm not up to date with leaving cert subjects but if it was construction related I would do Crown Hall
    http://www.harboearch.com/getProject.php?projname=iitcrownhall
    Should be relatively easy to make the clear span roof using cardboard/mdf.

davidoco wrote: »
    While I agree an assessor will grant marks for recognizability of a project, a student who produces a model of a signature building together with a actual understanding of why the practical aspects of the building are special should score well.
    As you said yourself, you're not up to date with the LC. And, with all due respect, the part of i've bolded is irrelevant.
    The project has a pretty strict marking scheme, i've seen them before, and there is no room for additional marks like the above.
    It's about a construction and display of skills, not architecture (the two are related to us, but not LC students).

At the end of the day, building choice is not likely to be worth marks. But if you grab the assessors attention, you'll get awarded more favourably imo.

The best models will be the best assembled and crafted. Regardless of building choice.

(snip)

"Omit the roof and a few intermediate floors, and everyone's a critic."

-- unknown MRIAI

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

I think the Green Citadel of Magdeburg by Friedensreich Hundertwasser is pretty spectacular - not a straight line in the place!

Poster_Tag_Ecke_Ansicht.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Villa Girasole

Built in 1935 on small wheels to allow it to rotate to follow the sun.

Girasole is Italian for Sunflower.

http://www.internimagazine.it/Dynamic/Publication,intCategoryID,3,intIssueID,321,intItemID,330,intLangID,2.html

Advertisement