Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Adventure Centre Business

Options
  • 02-09-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

MODS: I placed this in Biz and Sports to get a full perspective. Hope this is OK?

I was interested in setting up an outdoor adventure centre business, ya know the ones that take people out kayaking and the like. It is directly to the front of my business (tourist accommodation) and it would complement my trade perfectly.

I have the perfect location, a former boat house that's actually on the beach with 2 sandy area's to either side, it is not in use and is part of my property. We use it as the official car park for legal/planning reasons, but it never has been and will never be used. I am in talks with local planning officers to ensure any other use will not affect the current "use".

The tide does go out 5km each day but when it's in, it stays in for a good 4-5 hours (different times each day) I can see it working despite this, would just have to arrange the activities for set times depending on the tides.

Now, I have no qualifications, nor do I have any desire to get them (too busy with my current business). The way I intend on doing it is to simply give the building to somebody with necessary skills to run as an adventure centre, they would refer all their guests over to me (and likewise) and I would take a percentage of the business for being so generous for giving it rent free in the first place.

They will be responsible for everything themselves, all the equipment and Insurance and everything, All I am supplying is the building.

So my question is; does anyone have any experience of running this type of business and what are the necessary steps to opening such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Sounds to me like your the landlord? Advertise it and hope someone wants the job..

But the amount that it costs to set one of these places up no one will want it. Insurance will be 100s of thousands a year. They don't make there money these days on the sports and what not its the accom and food with a spa there as well.

You would be a mad man to take it on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Where abouts in the country are you located in the country, For example if you where in my area I may be able to develop something with you, what you are offering does sound interesting.

Cheers
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

high heels wrote: »
    Insurance will be 100s of thousands a year.

well, yes the insurance would be high in comparison to some other businesses, but I wouldn't go that far... :confused:
    pmccormack wrote: »
    Where abouts in the country are you located in the country, For example if you where in my area I may be able to develop something with you, what you are offering does sound interesting.

Cheers
    Paddy

I would love if somebody with an existing outlet would open an additional centre up here, It would make sense - the existing web presence, customer base, insurance and equipment.. the opening costs would probably be less than €500!

We are in Blackrock, County Louth... about 2.5 hours drive to Graiguenamanagh..
    only 2 hours if you've a heavy foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

high heels wrote: »
    Insurance will be 100s of thousands a year.

Wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

Great idea. Sounds v similar to (and unfortunately 4 U, is only just down the road from) Carlingford Adventure Centre - only the tide doesn't go out as far, plus they have a whole range of other activities & amenities at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Yes it is quite similar to Carlingford but we have the benefit of being closer to Dublin. Carlingford is out of the way, over 30 mins drive north from here...

I would like to see it being competitive to Carlingford in every aspect - same activities plus one or two more, and cheaper - Carlingford is very expensive.

Advertisement