Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science 1st year option(MA1003 or MA1054)

Options
  • 02-09-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I will be starting first year computer science at UCC this month and I've decided that I will take one of the maths options as I am awful at languages.

I got a B2 in honours maths and an A2 in honours Applied Maths.

Which of the two maths modules(MA1003 - Introductory Mathematics & Applied Mathematic or MA1054 - Calculus and Analysis) is (a)The easiest and (b)Will be most beneficial to me as I study computer science.

Thanks

edit: Are the module options selected in the online registration set in stone or will I have the option to change them in the coming weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You'll have the option to change up until a few weeks after starting, so don't worry if you "pick the wrong one" and need to switch.

I did MA1054 and found it grand; Riemann integration and series are a tad tricky but nothing too difficult int that module.

I didn't do MA1003 but having looked at an exam paper it looks very easy; if you have HL Leaving Cert Maths then it should be a breeze for you. Also, Applied Maths tends to be more benficial for computer science, so if there's Applied Maths content in MA1003 you'd probably be better off doing that.

So MA1003 probably suits your needs more, but if you want a more interesting course that goes deeper into Mathematics rather than just throwing formulas at you go for MA1054.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Do you know which course relies least on knowledge of LC topics?
    I did OL Maths (Which I found utterly simple) and no European language. I'm expecting a huge work load to keep up with the option modules, but with that said, which would be the easiest? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Well, the question is, do you want a challenge? You could breeze through MA1003, learn absolutely nothing you don't already know and do very well the exam. Or you could take on the "challenge" of MA1054. You might not do as well, but at least you'll have learned something new and it will, as such, in someway interesting.

With a B2 in honours maths and an A2 in honours applied maths you're well able for both, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Fernicia wrote: »
    I did OL Maths (Which I found utterly simple) and no European language. I'm expecting a huge work load to keep up with the option modules, but with that said, which would be the easiest? :o

You can't do MA1054 without higher maths, as far as I know. MA1003 is by far the easier of the two, anyway, though a lot of stuff on it isn't covered at OL, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

MA1003 is by far the easier of the two, anyway, though a lot of stuff on it isn't covered at OL, I think.

Thanks, I'll choose this. I was dreading having to relearn French from the JC. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll put down MA1054 for now anyway....there's no point re-learning what I already know.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

jreanor wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll put down MA1054 for now anyway....there's no point re-learning what I already know.

Thanks again

As users above have said MA1054 will be bit more a challenge but with a B2 in honours maths you should have no trouble (if you actually go to the lectures and take notes that is). If you find it tough going there is always the option to drop down to MA1003 as late as Jan/Feb by talking with the lecturer, usually Tom Carroll who is the soundest man ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I did MA1003 last year, literally went to 1 lecture all year and got 79% overall. Very basic stuff if you have done Honors in LC, I wasn't even great at maths in school but really breezed through it! MA1054 is supposed to be tough and a few guys from my class switched half way through the year but if you fell up for a challenge then try it out! Another advantage of MA1054 is that the lectures for it are all in the WGB which is also where your CS lectures will be. On the other hand, the MA1003 lectures were in the Boole Basement and it was a pain is the ass getting up there on time if you have a CS lecture immediately before and vice versa! Either way, I reckon you will be ok if you are in any way decent at maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Word of warning, I got an A2 in honours maths and did MA1054 and only just passed it by a few %, theres nothing in it that you'll ever need again later on in the CS course so unless you want the added challenge I'd go for the easier one, do very well in it and have more time and effort to concentrate on the harder CS subjects which should get you an overall better grade - and to put it into perspective MA1054 is what the Physics and Maths science students take in first year, its quite difficult and not simple to pass by any means.

Advertisement