Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshers Week

• 02-09-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hey, I'm starting at GCD in a few weeks, and just wanted to know what's happening for freshers week, anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

Nothing much happens during freshers week,they just set up a bouncing castle, set up 2 podiums where you have to knock the other person off with a big stick thing (they played the game in the show gladiators) and some sumo costume thing where you try to knock the other person to the ground(kids stuff),apart from that nothing else happens. unfortunately there is nothing to do around the place,more life in a graveyard. Don't bother with the S.U. , they are useless. Overall the place is a dump and i'm glad i moved elsewhere after 1st year.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

Hey, I'm starting their soon too.

Does anyone know if they organise nights out for us or anything like that?

I've heard mixed reports about the place. I reckon negative people will have a bad time whereas positive people will have a good time :)

No,they say they will organise nights out but they never do.The only night they organise is the Griffith ball which happens towards the end of the year.
    LUNALOVE: I am not a negative person,at all. I would like to be positive about the place but i'm not. you will see what i mean when you start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

Make the most of it yourself... for Freshers they usually have a party in the SU building - defo worth going too. Also they have a night out in a marquee beside the bar, thats usually pretty good too. The stuff during the day can be poor tho! There is ALOT of people in Griffith who will find the negative side of it as let's face it, its easy to be pis*ed off when you are being thought in a shed after paying them 6k to go there! Make the most of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Freshers Fest looks like the best thing going on for us. Anyone going to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JK9

The best thing is not to rely just on the events organised, you will have to make your own craic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gajbireland

Hey guys,

I'm not going to get into a slagging match over what the SU does and doesn't do. You are more than welcome to approach me and anyone else in the Students' Union at any time with your ideas and how we can implement them.

Griffith College Students' Union: http://www.facebook.com/GriffithSU1

Here is the event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150086028347354

Some of the posters:

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-List-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Party_On_The_Green-Monday_Night_Madness-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Tuesday-Champions_League_Night-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Tag_Rugby-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Football_Tournament-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Comedy-Joe_Rooney-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Freshers_Ball-Forum.jpg

GCSU-Fresher_Week_2010-Friday_Paintball_Trip-Forum.jpg

There is more to be added over the week of course.
    The first SU House Party of the year will take place in October.

Let me know if I can help.

Graham

Alot of the events are held on the Green? It's more like a sand dune if you ask me. You cant play football or rugby on that because the surface is terrible.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

desdman wrote: »
    Alot of the events are held on the Green? It's more like a sand dune if you ask me. You cant play football or rugby on that because the surface is terrible.:(

Dude, you mentioned you don't even go there anymore, so will you stop shooting everyone down please?

And Graham that sounds savage thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gajbireland

Erica<3 wrote: »
    And Graham that sounds savage thanks :)

Great. Looking forward to seeing everyone on campus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ms.smartypants

Nothing much happens during freshers week,they just set up a bouncing castle, set up 2 podiums where you have to knock the other person off with a big stick thing (they played the game in the show gladiators) and some sumo costume thing where you try to knock the other person to the ground(kids stuff),apart from that nothing else happens. unfortunately there is nothing to do around the place,more life in a graveyard. Don't bother with the S.U. , they are useless. Overall the place is a dump and i'm glad i moved elsewhere after 1st year.;)
    hey desdman this has nothing to do with griffith college but just wanted to know did u transfer if so how cos i wanna tranfer elsewhere aswell ...sorry i know i should have started a new thred thing for this...but just wanted to know that if u do 1st year somwhere can u transfer to another college for a similar course ...thanks :)
    and for erika...my friend goes to griffith college doing fashion design and she thinks its a great place she loves it :)

I think the transfer route only applies to undergraduate courses,but it would be too late to transfer now to somewhere else due to the strict closing dates,usually 1st July but they reopen during march to start in September.First of all you have to pass the first year to apply elsewhere,UCD;),DIT e.t.c. You apply for an 'External Transfer' to whatever college,you need a transcript of your summer results,your year head to sign some form to allow you to transfer..This Link will help you. https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc
    I hope this helps!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ms.smartypants

I think the transfer route only applies to undergraduate courses,but it would be too late to transfer now to somewhere else due to the strict closing dates,usually 1st July but they reopen during march to start in September.First of all you have to pass the first year to apply elsewhere,UCD;),DIT e.t.c. You apply for an 'External Transfer' to whatever college,you need a transcript of your summer results,your year head to sign some form to allow you to transfer..This Link will help you. https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc
    I hope this helps!! :)
    ya i am going into 1st year so if i get enough marks on the exams i do for my xmas and summer exams this year would i be able to transfer in a similar course into 2nd year next year...thanks.

ya,basically just pass your continious assessment and summer exams and you can transfer to any college :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

freshers in griff is more for the 2nd/3rd years. firsties dont do jack. su party on 7th of oct. amaze. better off going to that then anything on freshers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Just about the SU not organising anything,

This was my biggest problem when I worked in the SU (Seán here), you would have more-or-less the same students come into the office day in and day saying that there isn't anything going on for students and that the place is dead.

The SU has to do it's best with the budget it gets (which if you saw you're jaw would drop), and does so. There are the 3 "week" events (Freshers', Welfare and R.A.G), the Griffith Ball and a few other random nights out (Halloween, Xmas, the SU house parties etc.). On top of that the socities will organise their own nights and events.

Outside the events the builing itself has pool, an Xbox 360, TV, a common room and a small kitchen. Then you have all the sport teams and events with them.

Now, after all that, if you feel like there is nothing going on then go into the SU and tell them what you want! There were a few nights out and things added to events after students came in and said there wasn't anything on for them, but if you just complain and say nothing then there is very little the SU can do.

Besides this, the SU's isn't just there for piss-ups and parties, they look after student problems and issues, which (I can only speak for myself) were the top priority. So these will come before organising parties. Sure, other colleges may be able to organise events with big-name bands and have a million things happening each and every week, but their budgets are gigantic and their SUs have more dedicated officers who have the time to organise and look after everything. It's alot harder to do when you have two or three staff members. And no, the numbers can't be brought up. Since you have to pay staff members, their wages come out of the budget and it means less events for students and higher priced nights out to make ends meet.

I remember one student complained because we couldn't book bands like The Killers for our events. I wish I was joking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

freshers ball was actually good for once

Advertisement