Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer science in first arts PLEASE HELP

Options
  • 02-09-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

okay, so i really want to do computer science with my arts degree, but the website doesnt say if this involves hard-a or software, or really what it is at all!
    i just need to know if my colourblindness will affect my ability to do this subject- i cant work with electrical components at all =[ but i really cant see computer science covering making the graphic/sound cards, mother bards, or anyting else you need resistors for

i just want to be sure though, so if you've done first arts in computer science could you please help? [=

thankyou!
    -kay x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I wouldn't worry about it, me and a buddy of mine are are going into 4th year CS and he's completely colour blind! The course is mainly a programming course, we didn't have any hands on experience with hardware until a 2 hour class at the end of 3rd year, and that was just slotting bits into place. I presume in Arts is all programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's just programming, so you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The only issue I could see is in web design. This is what you'll be studying: http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/CS.html#CS1050

kay!wilde, just a note in case you're not aware, you can't major in computer science though Arts. The only way to get a computer science degree in UCC is to do the CK401 course itself.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/acsss/arts/ck101computers/
    This [computers in Arts] is available in First Arts and thereafter only as a 10 credit subject within the Single Subject Programme. The main Computer Science undergraduate programme is in the College of Science, Engineering and Food Science (entry through CK401).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

i did it (a few years ago now) but it was grand, bit of programming but they start from beginners and everyone helped each other if they were behind, dont think there was much hardware in first year arts.

Advertisement