Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI has most multiple complaints, survey says

• 02-09-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Is anyone surprised by this?

What I find funny is that the BBC goes and publishes this, but doesn't verify how many of the complaints were substantiated. I think a list of complainants would be an interesting read.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jingizu99

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the dislike a lot of people level towards the service.

Also somebody pointed out to me that it's free to complain - apparently in the south of Ireland you have to pay to lodge a complaint against the Garda... and you get the money back if the complaint is upheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I would like to make a complaint against one of your officers please.

The officer pulled me over today while I was driving to work, while I was in the middle if a very important phone call.

Then to make matters worse, he/she had the nerve to hand me a £60 fine and 3 points!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Exactly!

I would guess a lot of complaints to PSNI are from those who hate the RUC/PSNI/British rule etc, and also criminals etc.

I would love to know how many complaints are valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

the PSNI are there to save their asses not wipe them!

do they have any idea how much time it takes to investigate stupid nonsense complaints - then they complain theres not enough feet on the streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 furrywall1

Hi wannadrum

I caught the tail-end of a piece on the radio about the complaints.

About 4% of all complaints are upheld.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - I think they should make that the headline!

I mean - loads of the complaints will be from undesirables and criminals who are complaining because they don't want to be harrassed by the police.

I want the police to harrass these people in order to reduce thier criminality!

Doesn't surprise me really, given the circumstances over here compared to over the water I'd be surprised if it wasn't atleast one of the highest. There's always going to be people conplaining about the PSNI simply because they do not like them. Plus you would naturally believe that the forces that didn't reply with stats did so because they're not so great either, so possibly there are indeed worse out there.
    The PSNI do a fantastic job, I think the recent news coverage over the summer only goes the show that further, but some people will just never be happy...

There are a lot of people who dislike the PSNI who would have been strong supporters of the RUC too, probably responsible for some of the complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Jingizu99 wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the dislike a lot of people level towards the service.

Also somebody pointed out to me that it's free to complain - apparently in the south of Ireland you have to pay to lodge a complaint against the Garda... and you get the money back if the complaint is upheld.

Utter nonsense - The Garda Ombudsman does not charge complainants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Folks , check out the Ombudsman link I posted recently in the General Thread - some really interesting reports on specific cases - well worth a peek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jingizu99

delancey42 wrote: »
    Utter nonsense - The Garda Ombudsman does not charge complainants.

I stand corrected. I was just passing along information I had heard previously. Guess I'll do my own research from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Jingizu99 wrote: »
    I stand corrected. I was just passing along information I had heard previously. Guess I'll do my own research from here on in.

It is a savage idea...it would possibly make the more frivolous and downright stupid complaints null and void.

I reckon someone should write to Mr Ford/Mr Baggot with this idea.

I'm sure it would be against human rights though as some people would possible have to go without a couple of packs of cigarettes or a few beers in order to fund their supid complaints.....

I think that's a brilliant idea! Would never ever fly though ofcourse, but it would stop all the bullish*t complaints anyways :D

It is almost impossible not to get a complaint. I've only been in a short while, but have had 3 already. What it doesn't seem to mention anywhere is that a ridiculous number are bull. 1 was a complaint of oppression because I had the temerity to point a finger at someone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

It is almost impossible not to get a complaint. I've only been in a short while, but have had 3 already. What it doesn't seem to mention anywhere is that a ridiculous number are bull. 1 was a complaint of oppression because I had the temerity to point a finger at someone! :D

Point the finger at some one! how dare you.

You deserve to be thrown out, and your place given to me :D

You'll have to pry my warrant card from my cold dead fingers! :p
    It's a brilliant job, piled full with frustrations, but I wouldn't swap it. Took a big paycut to join, and haven't regretted a day of it. ;)

Advertisement