Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike or scooter?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey just wonderin if anyone can give me a ballpoint figure for scooter and motorbike insurance for an 18 year old girl? I'd ring up an insurance company but obv i dont have any details on make/model etc yet . . . so yeah jus a vague idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jenny92 wrote: »
    Hey just wonderin if anyone can give me a ballpoint figure for scooter and motorbike insurance for an 18 year old girl? I'd ring up an insurance company but obv i dont have any details on make/model etc yet . . . so yeah jus a vague idea?

Yamaha aerox 50cc
    YamahaAerox.jpg

eg http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1454118

Suzuki GN125
    150_0_1_2_gn%20125_thanuja%20hettiarachchi.jpg

eg http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=241988&utm_source=rentie_sr&utm_campaign=rentie_srmid

You must tell them you will have a learner's permit for an "A" license (not "A1").

The insurance companies that cover bike bikes in Ireland are Quinn, AON, Carole Nash and Adelaide. Because of your age and lack of experience, it's very hard to say who will help you. I know Quinn seem to make it up as they go so don't be shy, pick up the phone. Ask them how getting professional training would affect your premium too.

I'd also tell you that the scooter is exclusively a city/ town machine. They are just as dangerous as any other two wheeled machine and require the same care and attention in their use.

The GN125 will be insurance friendly and much more capable than the scooter. You'll probably enjoy owning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jenny92

thanks so much, jus wonderin wot exactly makes the second insurance friendly so i no wot to look for?

also i meant to say ball park figure not ball point jus if ne1 decides to correct me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

zagued_1100013317_honda_nsr125_cote_.jpg

This is a Honda NSR125- it's *2-stroke, 30 bhp and weighs as much as a medium sized shoe. It's fast, light and sporty. It'll be harder to insure.

The GN is *4-stroke 12 bhp, not excessively light or stripped down etc. It's slow, lumbering and easy to insure.

I'm assuming the scooter will be the most insurance friendly of all but that doesn't matter if it doesn't suit your needs.

*2/4 stroke refers to the engines cycle- a 2-stroke 125 will be twice as powerful as a 4-stroke 125. The aerox is a 2-stroke 50cc engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jenny92

thanks a mil, thats so helpful,
    damn tho, that is such a nicer bike :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you have the money...

Mana 850 GT.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/Aprilia-Mana-850-GT-1.jpg

Since it is automatic transmission, it's legally considered a scooter. But you'd have to get it restricted as it is 56 kW unrestricted.

Quote:

All persons granted first time Category A Learner Permits after 15th December 1999 are restricted to riding motorcycles not exceeding 25kW (33bhp) or that they do not have power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg (0.212bhp/Kg) for the duration of all Category A Learner Permit Licences granted to them and for the first 2 years after taking out a full licence in Category A. Almost all motorcycle's can be restricted to 25kW(33bhp) or a power to weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg (0.212bhp/Kg) by a mechanical fitment installed and certified by a motorcycle dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Get a vespa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

What he said...get a vespa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends where you live.

In Ennis one wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter :p

Depends where you live.

In Ennis one wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter :p

Personally know 3 lads from ennis that have Vespas.
    Used to be one of the main scootering towns in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Get a vespa

Just sold mine, the one big love of my life :(

But she's going to a loving home, someone who wants to be a scooterist and not just a commuter...

• Advertisement

Just sold mine, the one big love of my life :(

But she's going to a loving home, someone who wants to be a scooterist and not just a commuter...

Oh jaysus :(

Legend all the same!

Advertisement