Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an 8th subject a lot of pressure?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I do pass maths and Irish which leaves me with 5 honours. So I'm thinking of taking up Japanese outside of school. Is it a lot of pressure? Would I have to spend a lot of my free time on it to make up for no actual class time? Would it be possible to get a b2/b3 without a teacher/grinds? Well I'll get grinds at some stage, but financial issues suck, so yeah.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It depends on the subject and it depends on you. For a subject like Japanese I'd say it would take up quite a bit of your time since you'll be learning it from absolute scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'd focus on the subjects you have already tbh - no point in have to do extra work for even another subject - Why do you want the extra subject

if you just have an interest in learning Japanese then do - but don't put the extra unneeded pressure on yourself - Like unless your going to work like **** at it there's no point because you can't just pick Japanese up - you have to learn the alphabet or whatever and all that... that's going to be a lot of work that would probably be better spent studying some other subject your weak at...

just ask why you want to study Japanese and consider whether you'd be better off just studying the 7 you have already

maybe consider some of the "easier" subjects that have shorter courses and that you won't be starting from scratch - I personally would have no interest in say Business but it's all in English and I can read and memorise and bull**** something on the day if it goes bad - good luck trying to wing Japanese if you get a bad day

I dunno anything about Japanese but don't just do it because "Japanese would be a real cool thing to learn" - learn it after school by all means but be very careful about trying to learn it on your own outside of school - same goes for any subject though - try and get someone who knows the course somewhat to give some form of guidance along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'd focus on the subjects you have already tbh - no point in have to do extra work for even another subject - Why do you want the extra subject

if you just have an interest in learning Japanese then do - but don't put the extra unneeded pressure on yourself - Like unless your going to work like **** at it there's no point because you can't just pick Japanese up - you have to learn the alphabet or whatever and all that... that's going to be a lot of work that would probably be better spent studying some other subject your weak at...

just ask why you want to study Japanese and consider whether you'd be better off just studying the 7 you have already

maybe consider some of the "easier" subjects that have shorter courses and that you won't be starting from scratch - I personally would have no interest in say Business but it's all in English and I can read and memorise and bull**** something on the day if it goes bad - good luck trying to wing Japanese if you get a bad day

I dunno anything about Japanese but don't just do it because "Japanese would be a real cool thing to learn" - learn it after school by all means but be very careful about trying to learn it on your own outside of school - same goes for any subject though - try and get someone who knows the course somewhat to give some form of guidance along the way
    You only need to know about 200 characters for the LC course, of which I already know 45. So learning the rest would only take abot 2-3 weeks. It's a 2 year course so starting from scratch is the general idea

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

it depends how much effort you need to put into your pass subjects, i went a bit mad and did 8 honours for a while and ended up repeating. this year i had 8 too but 1 was pass maths which required very little time and effort so it felt like i was only doing 7

Advertisement