Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Oven Issues

Options
  • 01-09-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I live in rented accommodation and in the house there is a pretty impressive looking gas hob/oven. However... the oven is a disaster. I love to bake but the oven burns the arse of everything! Honestly, its not me its the oven! :P The top of the cake/buns/whatever will look perfect and then you take it out and the bottom is burnt. I've tried putting a big baking tray on lower shelf to block some of the heat and then baking stuff on top shelf but this hasn't worked. Have never had gas oven before this house so not used to it.

Its driving me crazy!!! :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like a problem with temperature regulation in the oven. Best to get it checked out and repaired accordingly.

I'm a fan of gas for cooking on the hob but when it comes to ovens electricity is more convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

A few guide lines that might help.
    If it is a fan oven then the cooking times need to be reduced.

Get yourself an oven thermometer to check the oven thermostat.
    they can be bought in most of the big stores Atlantic ,Woodies, B & Q and Heatons

Gas mark 2 = 300f and 150c
    Gas mark 4 = 350f and 180c
    Gas mark 6 = 400f and 200c
    Always preheat the oven at the temperature to need to cook at.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is it natural gas or bottled/tank gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Is it natural gas or bottled/tank gas?

Eh...I've no idea but I'm gonna go with natural gas!

Have a look at http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-gas-oven-and-an-electric-oven.htm

also if it's not got a fan for convection then you will not get a even temperture in the oven, you will get layers of heat with the hottest at the bottom, try a lower temperture or higher position in the oven. As posted a oven thermometer is a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement