Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB: Lower Download Speed?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I had 7mb broadband with eircom and was achieving over 700kb/s when downloading files etc, and in the DSL connection info, my modem showed that the downstream rate was 7168kbps and upload was 384kbps. Yesterday or the day before Eircom migrated its Limerick customers to "Next Generation Broadband", "upto 8mb."

Since the migration my broadband speed has dropped to 6144kbps down and the upload speed has increased to 512kbps. Now when downloading anything I'm lucky to get 600kb/s.

A friend living close by had a 3mb connection and now that has increased to 4mb since the migration, which is a far cry from the upto 8mb that Eircom say.

Has anyone else had there download speed reduced since the NGB became live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

There seems to be an increasing number of people reporting this !!!

NOT good

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

well eircom are very care full they dont say you get 8meg, they say up to 8meg. Not sure why your line was droped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I had poor experience as a result of the upgrade to NGB.

I asked for the upgrade to avail of the unlimited download allowance and was told it would be completed withing 5 working days, 5 days later my broadband was upgraded and I noticed the difference straight away.

The difference was that my broadband connection kept dropping every 3 minutes.
    So much for NGB, I rang broadband support helpline and asked the support guy was it the upgrade that was causing my problem and low and behold I was told that my line couldn't cope with the 8mb upgrade ( I was on a 7MB bundle without problems before upgrade).

I asked them to downgrade me to 7MB with the unlimited download facility and within 2 hours my broadband was operating perfectly again.

The strangest thing about the experience was I was told that because the exchange had now got a fibre optic link I would get uncongested BB, how can they say that when I'm still connected to the exchange with copper wire.

So if you have problems with the 8MB NGB just ask them to downgrade you to whatever they think your line can handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

I want to switch to UPC for broadband, but unfortunately I still have a couple of months left in the 12 month contract with Eircom. Under what circumstances could one break the contract with Eircom without facing any monetary charges?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dkmedia wrote: »
    I want to switch to UPC for broadband, but unfortunately I still have a couple of months left in the 12 month contract with Eircom. Under what circumstances could one break the contract with Eircom without facing any monetary charges?

none

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is very strong evidence that NGB slows down broadband speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote: »
    none

Continued technical problems such as disconnection issues or no sync would mean Eircom would have to allow a cancel without a contract termination charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

There seems to be an increasing number of people reporting this !!!

NOT good
    >>>>>
    Thats exactly what happened to me aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is very strong evidence that NGB slows down broadband speeds.
    >>>>>>
    I will ask to be downgraded and see if my service recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

they wont take you off the NGB only lower your speed

Its not the NGB causing the speed issues people are reporting its mostly their line speed being set higher then their line can handle, or the modems causing the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is NGB congestion free ie 1:1 contention ratio?

Not to take away from this thread but any of you folks with a stable connection count yourselves lucky, im stuck with eircom bb that slows down to snails pace every evening at peak times for the past 5 months.
    Ive no other option only eircoms bog standard offering or their resold stuff, we dont get NGB, Magnet,UPC etc fibre broadband in the town and no sign of either :(
    Gaming is a simply impossible after 6pm, constant phone calls to eircom by a number of people in the area does nothing it seems, eircom admitted numerous times we have congestion yet refuse to help out by saying there is nothing they can do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

They wont say what the contention ratio is but i highly doubt its 1:1, id assume its still 48:1. Its just it has a much larger backhaul so they say its congestion free. They will be dropping that slogan in a year or two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dcully wrote: »
    I
    Gaming is a simply impossible after 6pm, constant phone calls to eircom by a number of people in the area does nothing it seems, eircom admitted numerous times we have congestion yet refuse to help out by saying there is nothing they can do :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous dcully, from what I remember one of eircoms largest capacity national fibres ( 10gbits) runs right through your town between Cork and Dublin. You are not on a peninsula sticking out of Achill or anything.

Of course something can be done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is ridiculous dcully, from what I remember one of eircoms largest capacity national fibres ( 10gbits) runs right through your town between Cork and Dublin. You are not on a peninsula sticking out of Achill or anything.

Of course something can be done.

Tell me about it Sponge Bob, its the same old story i had back in 07 if you recall.
    The only option i have is from Magnet who are offering 8 Mb bb with contention of 12:1, not sure im willing to take up a minimum contract of 12 months on the off chance the congestion may improve on the strength of the better contention compared to eircoms 48:1.

Its an absolutely sickening state of affairs, seeings guys reporting their line speeds on fibre lines makes me green with envy :(
    Sorry for going slightly off topic OP but im fricking desperate at this stage and just crying out loud i guess.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dkmedia wrote: »
    Hi,

I had 7mb broadband with eircom and was achieving over 700kb/s when downloading files etc, and in the DSL connection info, my modem showed that the downstream rate was 7168kbps and upload was 384kbps. Yesterday or the day before Eircom migrated its Limerick customers to "Next Generation Broadband", "upto 8mb."

Those are the exact same speeds my BB was set at before the NGB "upgrade" and like yourself I was getting 700-710 kb/s

Now after the "upgrade" its at 6144/512.Im lucky if I get 4mb(mostly 2-3 all night tonight) in a speedtest and a large file download from any server is @ 400-420kb/s

Ive just spent 3 hours last night and tonight trying to get sorted with tech support and Im getting nowhere fast.They have agreed that my speeds were more stable before the upgrade but now they tell me theres no way to get "downgraded" back to the package I was on before that those packages are discontinued in favour of NGB.

Basically the engineer called to the house today and says the line is fine,can take up to 11mb,the exchange is fine and that 4mb is the max that I can expect from my "up to" 8mb upgraded line that I was getting 7mb solidly from before the NGB upgrade.

Have to hand it to Eircom though-Theyve ****ed up a perfectly good BB connection that I was quite happy with even and theyve gone and lost another customer to UPC because of it.I had no intention of leaving Eircom when everything was working but now--Im going for the 15mb tomorrow.

Someone should tell them that "if its not broken dont fix it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

I must be one of the few lucky ones here then?

Got our NGB letter there on Monday. Upgrade must have taken place mid-week.

We were on the 3mb Home User package. We're now looking at
    6.12 MB download and 0.43 upload
    which actually translates to a max download speed of 750kbps.

Surprisingly good, although I would of course much prefer a switch, to UPC and there 15MB package. Sadly, UPC are seemingly unavailable in our area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I upgraded to NGB the other day and there definitely has been no increase in speed, either uploading or downloading ...

Advertisement