Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney Stone - Laser/Stent

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My hubby has been in awful pain for months with a kidney stone. He finally got to see the Urologist last week and he's going in on Friday to have a stent inserted. The plan is to have the stone lasered a week or so later.
    Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Will he still be in a lot of pain until the stone is lasered or will the stent ease it a bit?
    Will he have to have the stent removed at a later stage again or will they remove it when they laser the stone?
    And once the stone is lasered how long should it take before he passes it, and will that get rid of the pain immediately?
    Sorry for the list of questions but he forgot to ask the doc all these questions so any insight on offer will be appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Seriously - has not one single boardsie had a kidney stone removed? :confused:
    My hubby's gone into hospital today and I'd really love to hear anyone's experience!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Hi,
    I realize this thread is a year old but I'll probably be facing the same thing myself soon :-(
    I was wondering why they didn't go the lithotripsy route, as the stent/laser method is obviously something I'd rather avoid?

I hope your husband made a full recovery anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Just found this thread as well! Due for lipotripsy shortly, my consultant was very insistent that the treatment was preferable to the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Just a quick update to this thread.......
    My husband had his kidney stone lasered and the stent (finally) removed last December.
    In June of this year he began to get very bad pain again and sure enough he has another stone - twice as big as the last one.
    He is in today for keyhole surgery to have it removed.
    It is my belief that the original stone was never fully gone and grew back at an alarming rate.
    Obviously, as this is our experience, I would recommend surgery to everyone - to be sure the thing is gone.
    I have to say my husband is generally not a whinger but I have never seen anyone in as much pain as he has been for the past few months.
    Hopefully today will see the end of the thing once and for all!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Just going through a kidney stone problem now. Absolutely excruciating pain. Just wondering if the surgery was successful. Did the stones return? I had one stone removed by laser but four still remain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement