Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making stout or wheat beer

Options
  • 01-09-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Is it harder to make stout/porter than wheat beer or ale? I'm just starting out making homebrew and I'm undecided on wheat beer, ale or stout... Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

I take it you are making the beer from a kit? If so you just follow the kit instructions. It is the same process for a wheat kit or stout/ale etc. Just dissolve the kit contents with boiling water(most 1 can kits need either a kilo of spraymalt or brewing sugar,spraymalt is preferred) top up fermenter with water to usually 23L. Add yeast and wait :D . I try and ferment at about 18C for most beers and works out well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

18C? How do you control the temperature? I made homebrew lager when i was a young teenager and just had it in a massive bucket in the shed.
    Turned out ok, but alot of sediment at the bottom of the bottles - can this sediment be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

A stout or porter would be more able to hide brewing flaws but a wheat you don't have to worry about have yeast suspended in your beer or been cloudy.

I would go for a stout given its heading towards autumn and they also age much better than wheat beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

oblivious wrote: »
    I would go for a stout given its heading towards autumn and they also age much better than wheat beer

Any suggestions for a good stout recipe brand to buy - could you give a good approximation of what branded stout it vaguely tastes like?

My favourite stout is porterhouse plain. I also like the anchor steam stout - i'd prefer that kind of stout to the old school treacley tasting strong stouts.

In terms of wheat beer, I never seem to tire of drinking Erdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

30kmph wrote: »

My favourite stout is porterhouse plain. I also like the anchor steam stout - i'd prefer that kind of stout to the old school treacley tasting strong stouts.

Any all malt kit have gotten good review, these two range a quite popular

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17

• Advertisement
Advertisement