Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Studing in England. Advice?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

The only factor which is making me consider not studying in England, is the fact I'd be going over alone, knowing absolutely no body. I can live with leaving all my friends here in Ireland, because I would be back and fourth when I could to catch-up and they said they'd visit too.

Settling in though in the new areas though? How easy for people has it been to develop good friends at college in England? Would like to find out a lot about this aspect of studying outside of Ireland. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI/GB Colleges :)

It's character building! On the upside you'll be with a bunch of people who know very few people too so you'll all be in the same boat, in my experience it's much more common in the UK to go far far away for college than it is here. Also, you are really only a flight away if you need to get home. With Skype, cheap phone calls and the great exchange rate it's not half as difficult a move it used to be back in the old days.

I'm sure other boardsies will share their experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

thanks. so the tendecny to go to college with your friends, or where your friends are going, like here in Ireland generally doesn't really apply in england?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well it does happen, I just think people are keener to go away. I went to secondary school in England, not one person out of my final year class went to the local uni - they scattered to London, Leeds, Edinburgh etc.

Most people might know a person or two, but you'll all be in the same boat being away from home etc., especially if you're in halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Newcastle - upon - Tyne
    The best city in the world, The English in the North East love the Irish you will have a great time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When I was in UCC I knew lots of people going there before I even started and people did not make much of an effort to expand their social group beyond their school friends.

You should have no trouble making friends in college in the UK. I found a lot of people in the UK move away for college so everyone is in the same boat and wll try and make an effort to meet people. In my class in Cardiff there was only one Welsh person out of the 20 of us but everyone was really close and people didn't break off into groups. Any social event we had we all went together, no such thing as needing to be invited. I found people from the UK to be extremely friendly, more frendly than I imagined. Total strangers would come up talking to you in a bar and that seemed to be the done thing. If you did that in Ireland people would look at you like you had 2 heads or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

you make loads of friends really quickly, its tough thinking about it before you go but it is worth it and your home for long periods in the year.

Advertisement