Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to build fireplace

Options
  • 01-09-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Folks

I got a quote of €750 to build a brick fireplace and install a solid fuel stove. I feel its a tad high but not too sure.

Quote was for the following;

Brick for fireplace
    Granite for underneath stove & hearth - 3 x 2
    All labour involved.

The stove will be sitting out in the room so he will be closing up hole in the wall(its a new build) and building brick fireplace and using fore cement where necessary. He will also be 'bricking' underneath the hearth to raise it a few inches off the floor.

He said there would be a bit of work in shaping the bricks. But taking all this into account €750 still seems high to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

personally, doesnt sound at all high to me. all materials and labour included? sounds pretty much alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yup all materials included, apart from stove of course :)

Ok good to know it's not a bad price I got.

Thanks for your reply bruschi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You don't mention whether the chimney is being lined or not, usually with a flexible metal liner and capped. I presume it is, so the price given is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Poor Uncle Tom - No flexi flue being used, the chimney is lined with 9 inch clay flue liner.
    You see the stove was an after thought in my new build, it was meant to be an open fire so was built for this.
    The salesman where I bought the stove said there was no need to use a flexi flue as did the guy I got quote off for installing it.

Is this bad advice?
    Thanks for the reply.

Well think about it, you will have a 200mm or 150mm diameter pipe from the stove going into the throat piece of the fireplace, what then?

The flexi pipe is a much better option, imo, as there is cobbeling together of pipework to existing flue behind the stove. The lining will go all the way to the top of the chimney where it is banded to the pot and a cap put on it, there is no risk of any of the fumes getting back into the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Well think about it, you will have a 200mm or 150mm diameter pipe from the stove going into the throat piece of the fireplace, what then?

The flexi pipe is a much better option, imo, as there is cobbeling together of pipework to existing flue behind the stove. The lining will go all the way to the top of the chimney where it is banded to the pot and a cap put on it, there is no risk of any of the fumes getting back into the room.

that would make it a bit difficult for cleaning the chimney unless he used the top outlet on the stove and fitted a bend with an access door .
    the flexi pipe will probally add another few hundred euro on to the price.

mossfort wrote: »
    that would make it a bit difficult for cleaning the chimney unless he used the top outlet on the stove and fitted a bend with an access door .
    the flexi pipe will probally add another few hundred euro on to the price.
    Yes but very well worth the cost, imo. As you state it will then not need the access at the bend and the hood on the flexi pipe stops most of the rain coming down and when the fire isn't lighting. It also keeps the original flues clean.

Advertisement