Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds....with 50% money back guarantee if grades not achieved!?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey i'm just fresh out of doing the leaving cert and got A's in all the 3 sciences and am now going into trinity to do law.....

I was thinking it would be a good idea to give grinds this year since i gave grinds to a few people last year while doing the leaving and they all got over B2's.....

Anyways i was thinking of doing something different to get students since there are 100's of grinds teachers out there.... so i came up with this 50% money back guarantee if you dont get the result you want?!! obviously I'd meet you first to see your current level, motivation and capabilities before promising anything....

Good idea or really bad!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Hmm...I'm not sure if your new spin on grinds really exempts you from posting in the pre-defined thread about it above. Your post here might get moved or the thread locked or something.

Emm, I'll leave it at that. I don't wanna look like I'm "playing mod" (that's actually a pretty clever play on words...) here or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Tbh, I know that grinds can help, but it's up to the students at the end of the day to study and prepare for the exam. Students who blame grind teachers for not achieving the grade they obtained just have their heads in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Forget them. Yes that is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

To be honest it seems like you're setting yourself up for losses. You obviously have faith in your own ability to teach, but anyone who doesn't get the grade they want due to their own faults and/or lack of work will be able to reclaim money. What would be the minimum grade?

I suppose it would make you stand out as a teacher but to be honest I'm sure that there are other, less risky incentives you could think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Just advertise your grinds in the designated thread in this forum and offer a lower price that those who have/are doing degrees in the subject and/or have experience giving grinds. Offer group rates too.

The traditional way still works and I also think you could be setting yourself up for losses with that plan. People could lie/not bother working to get half their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

johndoe91 wrote: »
    Hey i'm just fresh out of doing the leaving cert and got A's in all the 3 sciences and am now going into trinity to do law.....

I was thinking it would be a good idea to give grinds this year since i gave grinds to a few people last year while doing the leaving and they all got over B2's.....

Anyways i was thinking of doing something different to get students since there are 100's of grinds teachers out there.... so i came up with this 50% money back guarantee if you dont get the result you want?!! obviously I'd meet you first to see your current level, motivation and capabilities before promising anything....

Good idea or really bad!?

What if they all tell you they want an A1 and none of them get it????? If I saw your sign advertised as above, that's the first thing I'd say. It would almost be a guarantee to get money back. And how could you verify their results. The grade a student wants and the grade you think they are capable of are two very different things. They may want an A1 and you might think they are only capable of a C3. And if you tell them that they will just say you are saying that so you can keep the money. Keep it simple and use the way that works. You advertise, they pay you. If they don't do the work after that, that's their own fault.

As previous posters have said, you'd want to be cheaper than the others to get some calls. You're not a qualified teacher and you're not doing a degree in the subjects you plan on giving grinds in so really you can't charge high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah, I get that you're kinda throwing out an idea for service, but you're also advertising your own service, so Imma lock this, and you can post in the grinds sticky :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement