Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Grammar School for repeat?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Didnt get my first choice in the first round, will probably miss it by 5 or 10 points in the second; so I am looking at repeating. I am not sure whether to repeat in my old school (a ****hole tbh) or go to a better one like Dundalk Grammar and so was just wondering what is it like. Are all the teachers good? What would the other students be like to a new student?

My old school was really hit and miss (mostly miss) with good and bad teachers and most of the students didnt really care about what they do with their life so there was that kinda "anti-education" atmosphere that wasnt really great for study or motivation. Would I be better to just return to my old school and ignore the 'atmosphere' or would the Grammar be any better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oddo

Lots go to the De La Salle for repeating maybe that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stop blaming your school/teachers/fellow students.

If you're prepared to do the work it doesn't matter where you go.

YOU are the one sits the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah OP, even if a teacher can't control a class or leaves out huge parts of the course it's your fault if you do badly. I think what the last poster was saying was that teachers aren't actually needed in any way, shape or form. Or maybe not.

The De La Salle is a pretty decent school. Junior cycle is a bit hit and miss but the teachers for most HL subjects in LC are good to excellent and the guy who sorts out the repeats is as sound as you'll come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The De la Salle is a great place to repeat, it's where I went last year and I've already waxed lyrical about it a number of times. :p

It's helpful in the sense that there is a separate repeat class and also an English one if you're repeating that subject. I honestly found that all of my teachers were more than willing to help me even outside of class hours with extra classes and generally being encouraging. Plus, the Careers Guidance teacher is the best ever, a complete legend who is always willing to help with any questions or queries you may have (which I think is especially helpful for repeat students.)

The general atmosphere in the school is great too. I initially found it quite difficult to settle in having attended an all girls' school for the previous thirteen years of my education but after a while I absolutely loved it. The lads were very welcoming overall and fantastic craic was had. I'd say I made a few lifelong friends out of them. :)

Most of the repeats, as far as I'm aware, improved considerably from their previous Leaving Certs, myself included. It's definitely worth a look if you're set on repeating but I'd get onto that urgently-limited numbers will be accepted and as far as I know interviews have already started.

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A surprisingly large number of my friends are repeating. Some are going to the Marist, others to the CBS, a lot are going to the De La Salle (which I heard is really good - I have a neighbour who improved 180 points there) and one is going to the Grammer.

I don't know much about the Grammer, especially in terms of repeating, but results wise I don't think it is the best in Dundalk, which some people might expect it to be as it's the only fee-paying school.

I don't think it's important where you go, as long as you put in the work. A person who is 100% self-motivated could do just as well in a public school than they could in 'grind schools' etc. such as the Institute, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

There were actually three students from the Grammar repeating with me in the De la Salle last year and if memory serves me correctly they all thought that the quality of teaching there generally speaking far surpassed that of the Grammar. Interesting food for thought. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

t9106 wrote: »
    Didnt get my first choice in the first round, will probably miss it by 5 or 10 points in the second; so I am looking at repeating. I am not sure whether to repeat in my old school (a ****hole tbh) or go to a better one like Dundalk Grammar and so was just wondering what is it like. Are all the teachers good? What would the other students be like to a new student?

My old school was really hit and miss (mostly miss) with good and bad teachers and most of the students didnt really care about what they do with their life so there was that kinda "anti-education" atmosphere that wasnt really great for study or motivation. Would I be better to just return to my old school and ignore the 'atmosphere' or would the Grammar be any better?

I went to the Grammar myself and I thought it was a really good school. Of course all the teachers are not "good", it's exceptionally difficult to find anywhere were every single teacher meets your definition of "good", but for the most part, I found them to be very helpful. The year you would be going into are a very nice group, actually. My cousin is in that year. In general, new students are very well received and settle in well.

However, speaking from my experience as a repeat Leaving Cert student, if you are planning to repeat your exams in Dundalk, then I would suggest going to the De La Salle. The main reason for this is that there is a repeat class there, which puts you with a group of people in the same boat as yourself and gives you the added benefits of a special English class which covers the course in a year. There was no real difference in the ratio of "good" to "bad" teachers in each school, by the way. I moved to get away from the year below me (I didn't need a constant reminder that all my friends were gone!) and to avail of the English classes.

Nobody repeats in the Grammar school. In my six years there, only one boy ever did and it was under exceptional circumstances (plus, he'd been there for the previous six years). I know last year that two students (again, ones who had been there for their entire second level education) repeated. It's not that they don't let people repeat there, it's just not really done. I'd seriously consider the De La Salle if I were you. It's a course specifically designed for students like you, where as in the Grammar you would probably be the only repeat student.

Aside from my opinions on both schools, I have to add: it's not up to teachers to motivate you, it's up to you. It is very difficult to repeat the Leaving Cert and watch your friends go to college, move away and start new lives. They're off on mad nights out, while you are stuck at home doing your homework. You have to know what you want and use it to keep you motivated. It's worth it in the end.

Just my two cents. If you have any questions on either school, feel free to PM me.

Advertisement