Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent: Anyone here done the Colaiste Dhulaigh film production course?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Following on from an earlier post i'm just wondering if any of you attended the film course in Colaiste Dhulaigh and how you found it?

I've been offered a place there and a place on the film course in Bray Institute Of Further Technology.

Basically from what i can gather the 1 year course in BIFE is very intense, practical and hands on which is great and Dhulaigh is a mix of thoery and practical though its over 2 years and i think if i've been reading information on the college properly after the 2 years in Dhulaigh there is the option to progress to the final year of degree programmes in the UK etc. which would also be great.

Basically what i'm wondering is if the course in Dhulaigh is worth 2 years or if i'd be as well doing a one year (and looking at starting a degree course somewhere else after that)

Thing is i really need to give an answer tomorrow or their gonna 'move on in the list' so if any of you have gone to Dhulaigh (or BCFE for that matter) i'b be hugely grateful if you could let me know how you found it?

Help!! and thanks!! ;-)

Ps. I know i should probably post this in Edu as well but it'd be great to get feedback from those in the know - Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I worked near Colaiste Dhulaigh and we had a number of students in on work experiance and I think my former boss was a student that did the year in the UK and he seemed capable enough (and he was my boss, so it can get you a job). As did most of the students who did work experiance.

Also the equipment is for the most part fine. JVC HD-110 camcorders and the full final cut suite was standard from what I saw when we were filming their open day.

I also did a course that did theory and practical (in the uk) and I felt a small bit of theory helps with the practical now and then.

But I cant help much beyond that. I dont know what their teaching is like and I dont know anything about Bray so I cant compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I worked near Colaiste Dhulaigh and we had a number of students in on work experiance and I think my former boss was a student that did the year in the UK and he seemed capable enough (and he was my boss, so it can get you a job). As did most of the students who did work experiance.

Also the equipment is for the most part fine. JVC HD-110 camcorders and the full final cut suite was standard from what I saw when we were filming their open day.

I also did a course that did theory and practical (in the uk) and I felt a small bit of theory helps with the practical now and then.

But I cant help much beyond that. I dont know what their teaching is like and I dont know anything about Bray so I cant compare.

Thanks for the info BlitzKrieg it gives me a bit of ressurance - i was sure i heard Dhulaigh was a good course somewhere before which is why i was eager to get a place there (along with the fact that you can go to the uk and join in on the final year of a degree course over there) but noticed someone say (on an old boards.ie thread) that they felt there was too much theory (saying that someone else said there was more practical on the same thread so...)

Anyway i've told them i'd accept a place so providing there's no hic cups (a day of missed calls: them chasing me for an answer and me missing them on call back...so its all up to the receptionist to keep her word and pass on the message that i accept) i should be registered on Fri and starting soon after.

Fingers crossed i've made the right decision.
    Thanks!
    DrF

Advertisement