Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on if its worth doing this post grad Dip in Trinity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

From an employment perspective, I would imagine it's probably not worth it. Work in this field is only going downwards given the cuts in the government capital spending program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well in Ireland yes, but I would think across the world there would be alot of scope for a qualification like this, but I am doing Electronics so what do i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm told it's an excellent one to do, but if you are doing it with the intention of bettering your employment prospects in this country, it's a bad choice.Unfortunately.

I'd love to do one like that (I'm a civil), but it's not going to help me get a job, coz it's too specific in one field. If you plan on emigrating to work in civil, then fine. Otherwise it's a lot of money for something that won't benefit you at home...

Sorry. The whole situation sucks unbelievably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CurtisPadd

thanks for you're opinions. I am thinking of doing it to better chances of getting a job. I may have to emigrate. It is a level 8(diploma) and even though it is specializing in geotechnical and highways it I feel it will give me something extra in the jobs market here.
    the cost is the other huge factor, Almost 6 big ones.

i have a lot of experience in land surveying, geophysics, Traffic management etc. Also having trinity on your CV would help I believe..
    I did wonder at being offered it..people are shying awaying from this area understandably.
    What to do..

PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Yeah, it probably would be good, in the case of emigration.
    Tough one. I'm playing that game myself at the moment. it's very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

I have done the PDip in H'ways and Geo and the PM Dip both in Trinity. Would recommend it, but my employers paid for them at the time, would'nt pay €6,000 though to do them, especially given the current climate

is there any post grad renewable courses about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

In my opinion its is a complete waste of time and money. There is nothing in it that you cant learn by reading yourself and you will pick up on the job.

It is quality real life experience within the field that will determine your future employment prospects

Again in my opinion it will not add to you employability within the highways sector - Not that there are likely to be many future job openings in this sector especially on the design side in the years ahead.

Bottomline you really do not need a postgrad qualification to work in Highways but quality on the job experience is key

If you want to do a postgrad I would say look at other area of engineering where a postgrad may be of use such as energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CurtisPadd

Hmm. Food for thought. Apart from the maths and surveying i've done there is nothing that can't be learned on the job!

"In my opinion its is a complete waste of time and money. There is nothing in it that you cant learn by reading yourself and you will pick up on the job."

Does this indicate that the course is easy?

A renewable energy course would be great but I haven't found one at this level 8 that is accessible to me.
    PC

Advertisement