Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old House alarm Advice

Options
  • 31-08-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a four bedroom Bungalow which I got renovated last year. There was a working alarm before renovations but due to the whole Hall being changed it was taken out. I now have a control Panel in Attic with lights on and I believe its Airtech. Don’t know what the most expensive part of Alarm is; there are still sensors over doors. Does anybody know roughly how much it would cost me to get it working again with a new control unit and maybe 3 PIR's (Hall, sitting room and Kitchen) instead of window sensors as there were new windows installed with renovations. Any help would be appreciated.

TDAVFC...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would sound like some rewiring may be involved.
    Get a few company's to call out & take a look. That way there are no suprises down the line.
    You could hoever do a basic wireless system for around €600- €700

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

tdavfc wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in a four bedroom Bungalow which I got renovated last year. There was a working alarm before renovations but due to the whole Hall being changed it was taken out. I now have a control Panel in Attic with lights on and I believe its Airtech. Don’t know what the most expensive part of Alarm is; there are still sensors over doors. Does anybody know roughly how much it would cost me to get it working again with a new control unit and maybe 3 PIR's (Hall, sitting room and Kitchen) instead of window sensors as there were new windows installed with renovations. Any help would be appreciated.

TDAVFC...

You should be looking at a hybrid alarm system, this can take the wired part of the system that still works plus install wire free components for the cables that are gone. It is more secure than just putting in pirs but more expensive.

With regard the alarm you have installed you could get this up and going again if you just want to put the 3 pirs on to this system. I take it you mean the keypad in the hall is gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tdavfc

altor wrote: »
    You should be looking at a hybrid alarm system, this can take the wired part of the system that still works plus install wire free components for the cables that are gone. It is more secure than just putting in pirs but more expensive.

With regard the alarm you have installed you could get this up and going again if you just want to put the 3 pirs on to this system. I take it you mean the keypad in the hall is gone ?

Thanks Guys for the quick responses...

Yes Sorry Altor its the keypad that is missing. So I was thinking if I could get a new one re-connected to Control Box in attic and an extra 3 PIR's and the doors already have old contacts on them. Was wondering roughly how much would this cost. Or as koolkid mentioned should I just go for a new wireless system. Just would like to go with the cheapest option for us...

Thanks,
    TDAVFC

You would only be able to add the pirs on to the system if there was enough zones on the panel.A keypad would be easy enough to add on to an aritech alarm. Depending on the zones for this not being available would i advise you to get a new system.

If you where to upgrade the control panel you would get a new keypad plus panel for €400, €45 per pir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

My advise would be to get 3 quotes and take it from there. Bungalows are very easy to wire so sensors on your windows should not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks Guys, Much appreciated.. I will do that so....

TDAVFC

tdavfc wrote: »
    Thanks Guys, Much appreciated.. I will do that so....

TDAVFC

Your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Your welcome

Advertisement