Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford News ceases publication

Options
  • 31-08-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=154547481

Last issue today. A sad day for Longford. I used to work there a few years back, worked with some great people there throughout the years. Longford Leader is a much bigger newspaper and the News were always up against it, but hope everyone who worked there finds new employment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

pauro 76 wrote: »
    http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=154547481

Last issue today. A sad day for Longford. I used to work there a few years back, worked with some great people there throughout the years. Longford Leader is a much bigger newspaper and the News were always up against it, but hope everyone who worked there finds new employment.

It's very unfortunate, but not surprising. Longford doesn't really have the market for two papers but perhaps it may have stood a slightly better chance if it had created it's own identity, instead of coming across as a poor man's version of the Leader.

Best of luck for the future to all the staff at the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sad day. It looks like the Alpha group deliberatly brought the news of the 3 local papers closure on the day the papers are printed so they couldn't write anything about there own closure. Very bad form if it is the case.

I didn't know The News was owned by a Ulster Unionist, Lord Kilcloony!
    I wonder will the papers be sold individually as going concerns?
    Save The News, it was great for the court cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Horrible way of ending it. But somehow, I'm not surprised that it's ended like that. When I was working there, Alpha ownership had been dragging on for months. Longford Leader has improved a lot and expanded over the years, especially online. There was only ever going to be one winner but it's a shame a casualty had to go along the way.

Advertisement