Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand clothes shop - high street labels

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone...!!! I am looking to start a new business in my local town. I am very interested in a second hand clothing store - but not essentially the "designer brand" stuff - also hight street clothing, like coast, debenhams etc... and also something for "the larger lady". I am finding it really hard to source stuff as I dont want a consingment of stock. I also dont have the money for large stock orders - this is will be done on a very tight budget - if it gets off the ground.
    I shop in one kind of near me & love it - its total bargin central & they have lovely stuff - some still with labels attached - and mainly all high street stuff like zara, coast, debenhams, a-wear etc... stuff you would wear daily. They also have some shoes / boots & bags. If anyone has any ideas on how I could source stock then please advise...any help appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Hi, I'm not an expert in this area at all but I do know that there's a large amount of online businesses doing just this, especially for expensive labels and wedding dresses.

Before you go for the bricks and mortar idea, you could set up a website online, to try to gather as much stock as possible. While you are gathering the stock, you could also post images online and sell some items. You should concentrate largely on the social media like Facebook and Twitter, maybe even Bebo* if you think Irish teenagers could be your target marget.

My 2c!

Personally I don't know of any shops like that near me, and I'd definitely be interested checking out a second hand shop with high-street labels.

*runs for shelter after mentioning the B-word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elaine.m

Hi Zonua,

Thanks for your reply. I really would like to go down the bricks & mortor route only because I did the online business before and it was ok - but when you factored in postage the price went up - then a return & the cost went up.... etc.
    I can see what you mean by start gathering stock & then do some online work - that does make sense.
    My main concern is finding a more regular method of sourcing stock. The lady that runs the store in my town sources her stock in the county where she lives & then sells it in my town so there is no "conflict" etc - I just cannot figure out where she gets the stuff from !! Its all one offs - and luck of the draw when you go in to see whats there ! Thats whats so great & keeps people coming back in. The stuff is also great quality & really well priced. I just cannot figure out how she does it. There is plenty of room for more of these stores and I would really like to pursue it.
    Thanks again for your suggestions - keep me in mind if anything else comes to mind !!
    Elaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Is there a market for second hands clothing in this country? I'm not sure that Irish consumers have yet returned to the days when they were happy to buy second hand.

I tried to sell a slightly used pair (worn once) of brand name jeans on ebay recently for about half the retail price and got absolutely no takers. No one was interested. I find the very same lack of interest when it comes to selling briefly used electronics, printers, etc. No one is willing to pay for used goods, they either buy nothing or pay 2 or 3 times as much for new.

All part of the collective economic denial that still exists amongst consumers in this country. There are people who are smart enough to accept free goods (jumbletown, etc.), but people with cash are not paying for second hand. My experience, anyway...

Advertisement