Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay for livery?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 6:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was driving back from Galway yesterday and noticed a sign advertising livery for 20 euro per day. I wasn't able to read all the information on the sign, but I *think* it was for full livery as opposed to DIY...

But it got me thinking about the costs of livery throughout the country and was wondering what the average price for livery is.

So I was wondering if people would be willing/interested in posting their livery costs in this thread? I'd rather not include the names of the Equestrian centre(s) and livery yard(s).

So basically we're looking at:
    - how much do you pay for livery?
    - DIY or full livery?
    - What part of the country are you in? (if you'd rather not name the county, something like South Leinster or West Munster would be ok)
    - Facilities (if any)
    - Do you have to arrange farrier/vet, or will your yard do that for you?
    - Any other info you feel is relevant.

How much do you pay for livery? 20 votes

Less than 300 euro
    0% 0 votes
    300 - 400 euro
    15% 3 votes
    400 - 500 euro
    55% 11 votes
    500 - 600 euro
    30% 6 votes
    more than 600 euro
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Interesting thread.

I dont pay livery right now, but the last place I was in was 100 euro per week for full livery.

Their arena wasnt lit and the hacking wasnt great, so it was pretty useless to me. But the standard of care was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

80euro a week, full livery.

In county cork, not too far from Cork city.

Stables and grazing. Outdoor arena. Lessons.

The yard arrange the farrier.

I keep my pony there, she is old enough and not really up to any hard work anymore, also I'm a bit big for her. But the owner of the yard leaves me ride his horses, gives me lessons and allows me to ride them in competition too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

€110 per week, just outside Ashbourne Co Meath. Nice Facilities.

Just seen Castle Leslie offering the same price but with turnout and access to the 1000 acres and free group lessons!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

but then you'd be living in monaghan ;)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm on €80 a week, full livery.

Donadea area - great hacking routes! only 15mins from maynooth

The yard itself has a walker which I have full use of, outdoor arena, fed three times day, transport to shows, etc, ridden if unable to get up, lesson once a week (I often get more though if I ride with the manager :D)

Vet, farrier, dentist and chiropracter all on call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rachachan

hi there i pay 100 per week for DIY in a small yard in North Wicklow, the 100 includes feed and bedding daily turn out. but everything else is up to us. i share thankfully with a lovely friend of mine so it works out well on the cost front at 50 per week each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rachachan

god you have a sweet deal there !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I have my own yard thankfully, so no livery fees... I don't think I could put up with being on a livery yard tbh :o

Convert - Was the place you were passing by in Ballinasloe, near Creagh EC?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Hi Ali,

I'm not actually sure where the sign was as I was driving in lashing rain, so was paying more attention to driving than where I was or what the sign said. All I can tell you is that I was on the M6. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I pay 120e a wk for my 2 horses on full livery:) which i think is quite a good deal!! Out on grazing everyday, stabled at night, 2 indoor arenas, one outdoor, a x country course with every size shape and type of fence, and to top it off 8km of forest treking!!
    No extras for handling, changing rugs, or using the walker.
    Free use of the yards horse boxes.
    Nd owner on hand 24/7.
    Top master farrier and world class instructor on hand.
    Its usually 80e for one horse but second one is half price:P
    Now beat that with a big stick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Ok here goes;
    Kilkenny (10mins from the city) D.I.Y
    €25 summer - out at grass (great grazing!) from March (ish) until December
    €50 Winter - in at night (hay and straw provided) and out in woodchip all day
    Facilities; 8 horse walker, all weather flood-lit arena, american barn stabling with all facilities inc washroom (hot water) and locked tack room, numerous hacking within the owners land through forest, fields and laneways (never need to hit the road!) x-country schooling course, owner at the yard 24/7, yard open 24/7, fully secure with alarms and dogs (licked to death) yard will organise shoeing and brill vet local ie lives down the road!
    Have been there a year now after 2 bad experiences and have yet to find fault with the yard or the people in it!!!! :D

I'll give you a laugh, the livery yard where I am put up a sign requesting that liveries dont pick out their horses feet in the main yard area or in the barns??

Borderfox wrote: »
    I'll give you a laugh, the livery yard where I am put up a sign requesting that liveries dont pick out their horses feet in the main yard area or in the barns??

:eek:

Does the barn include in the stable? If it does, will that not result in more straw/shavings being dragged around the place?

I'm confused... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So where do you pick out horses feet? And would it make any difference where they are picked out?

I'm also confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fizififi

A yard I was in always picked out the horses feet into a bucket, I suppose it saves dropping mud into a clean bed or onto yard to be swept up?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

anybody got any idea of livery prices [full] for meath/kildare area. as much detail as possible please.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I would be like that too!! People never sweep up their own mess on yards and muck and dirt from horses feet looks awful on a yard. I always pick my horses feet out into a bucket then tip it in the wheelbarrow.

anyone.............?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stroppymare

Have my youngster in fab yard near Kilmessan. €100 per week, but best quality livery I've ever had. 24/7 care, owners who really know their stuff. Outdoor flood lit arena, walker, lots of hacking, some hunting meets there!

• Advertisement

thanks, do you use grass livery in summer there? 100 seems kinda steep. thought 65 70ish might be goin rate now in recession

Costs of feed, hay, straw, etc. haven't really come down. Grain prices have actually increased, and overall costs of running a yard haven't really come down, either, so with the fixed costs being the same, the livery prices can't really afford to come down that much. Tho' that said, if you look around you should be able to find a variation in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

360 west dublin - huge outdoor arena floodlit, x country course, right beside forestry and quiet roads - all feed/haylage and daily turnout :)

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    I would be like that too!! People never sweep up their own mess on yards and muck and dirt from horses feet looks awful on a yard. I always pick my horses feet out into a bucket then tip it in the wheelbarrow.

I always sweep up after myself but just seems strange, I dont like picking into a bucket as I would be worried he would drop his leg into the bucket and freak out. I end up sweeping it into a scoop and sticking it in the bin. No daily turnout in the yard which has put a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

thanks, do you use grass livery in summer there? 100 seems kinda steep. thought 65 70ish might be goin rate now in recession

http://www.rosecottagestables.webs.com

I pay €80 a week for full livery, including full use of walker 6 days a week, 24/7 survelliance due to the owners living on the property, and one free lessons every week.

Sorry if links arn't allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

rachachan wrote: »
    hi there i pay 100 per week for DIY in a small yard in North Wicklow, the 100 includes feed and bedding daily turn out. but everything else is up to us. i share thankfully with a lovely friend of mine so it works out well on the cost front at 50 per week each

yikes thats pretty expensive for DIY??? i pay 380 a month for full livery in Dublin and the entire yard is indoor as well with a big indoor arena! mucked out, turned out daily, fed, and the yard is open late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

Hiya I pay 380 per month (regardless of a 4 or 5 week month)

This includes daily turnout, feed, mucking out, hay/haylage, and rug changeovers (stable to turnout)

Yard is in Swords, Co. Dublin and has a large floodlit outdoor arena, a horse walker, loads of acres for hacking, and is about 90 mins hack from Portmarnock Beach. (plans for an indoor in the near future)

Also has seasonal shows (halloween, xmas etc), clipping and worming service, horse lorry for shows, and does private and semi private lessons for liveries.

Very friendly and professional yard, great value for money i think! :D

looks like livery prices are still at boom level, crazy stuff, they will be next thing to crash in our crazy economy. 50 euro in my opinion is enough for any standard livery.

Advertisement