Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play poker?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hello everyone,
    as the title says I'm looking for some help in learning to play poker.
    I'm a complete beginner so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any help on what would be the best way to learn?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I don't play it professionally but would you not try an online site? Not a paid one.

There are usually a few that have the rules and whatnot.

I forget the site but after I played it there it showed the rules, automatically said what my best had was :P

It was pretty useful.

Now if you want to learn how to bluff and whatnot and not have a tell... good luck :P

Oh there's one on facebook that's usefull. If you have a facebook I'll give you a link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

My advice would be to make a small deposit like €50 into an online site such as http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/ or http://www.boylepoker.com . These are probably the handiest for starting off as it would have a lot of players like yourself while the bigger sites such as Full Tilt & Pokerstars would have a lot more sharks on it .

Then if you want to grasp the basic rules & layout & how it runs hop into a play money cash game until you get a feel for it but i wouldnt stick around there too long because you will just pick up bad habits playing for play money. Play money is generally just a pisstake & has no real reflection on real money games whatsoever.

Once you get a feel for it , you could join a micro stakes cash game or else a low buy in sit & go (SnG ) or tournament . I found when i started off playing id play a lot of the smaller buy in 1 table sit & gos - these are games of either 9 or 10 players with for example a buy in of $10 with the top 3 getting prize money - 1st $50 2nd $30 3rd $20 , something along those lines.

When your comfortable with these games you could then try your hand at some low buy in multi table tournaments ( Mtts ) . These run following the same guidelines as SnGs except you could have anything from say 50 to 1500 players playing with obviously a larger percentage of the field getting prize money . In general 10% of the starting field will get prize money .

Id recommend starting off playing only the stronger starting hands until you get accustomed to playing more frequently. You should then develop your own style of play based on what you have learned/experienced.

Good luck with it , if you want anymore help on it just drop me a pm , i play a fair bit online so could help you out with the basics no problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Gambles wrote: »
    hello everyone,
    as the title says I'm looking for some help in learning to play poker.
    I'm a complete beginner so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any help on what would be the best way to learn?
    Thanks in advance

Plenty of sites on the net to give the basics but you'll need practice and play to learn.

I recommend browsing the play money tables on Full Tilt.

Advertisement