Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Digg about to die?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be a massive revolt taking place on Digg.com atm due to the new version which went live last week. The entire front page with the top stories for the last 24 hours are all links to content submitted on Reddit.com, and most of the comments on stories submitted from news sites are spam like in their display of outrage over the changes

The power of change eh?! I reckon they'll revert back to the previous design to avoid a mass exodus of users. Will you still use the site? I used to love it, t'was a great place to pick up interesting stories and funny pics =p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Just tried to log on, apparently "Digg has broken an axle", their rss feed went offline about a week ago, this new version must have done that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I don't think either it will die or they will change it back. There is a vocal segment to be sure, and they'll piss and whine like they always do. Eventually either they will stop using it and everyone else will get on with it or they'll shut up and keep using it until the next time it changes and then the version they have now will have been the best one and they will demand a change back to that.

You see it any time a high profile website makes any kind of drastic change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Eh, I'll just paste what I put as my facebook status awhile ago.

"digg scares me sometimes. so much revolt and so much hatred.. over what? a new not-so-great site design? jesus, if only people went this nuts about things that actually, you know.. mattered."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

omahaid wrote: »
    Just tried to log on, apparently "Digg has broken an axle", their rss feed went offline about a week ago, this new version must have done that?

http://i.imgur.com/0tBzL.gif :pac:

I don't think either it will die or they will change it back. There is a vocal segment to be sure, and they'll piss and whine like they always do. Eventually either they will stop using it and everyone else will get on with it or they'll shut up and keep using it until the next time it changes and then the version they have now will have been the best one and they will demand a change back to that.

You see it any time a high profile website makes any kind of drastic change.

It wouldn't be the first time that they've caved under pressure.. remember the HD-DVD thing!

I don't actually think they can revert now anyway, not according to this
    liah wrote: »

"digg scares me sometimes. so much revolt and so much hatred.. over what? a new not-so-great site design? jesus, if only people went this nuts about things that actually, you know.. mattered."

I think it's more to do with the fact that stories can be auto submitted now by sites, making the community somewhat redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

This is a crazy situation I must say, I logged onto Digg yesterday to find I was actually using Reddit (indirectly).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

liah wrote: »

wow your facebook updates are you know like... so inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I think it's more to do with the fact that stories can be auto submitted now by sites, making the community somewhat redundant
    The community aspect of digg became redundant very quickly when a select view learned how to get there diggs tot he front page so it resulted in a few people having complete control over what was on their front page. The same thing happened with viewer spam on youtubes most viewed video list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

This I believe:

1fnBS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

At least Digg is honest now:

Hn1U7.jpg

But Reddit only a "small" site..., Right?!?!?

jiHka.png

XiT9x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The Future of Reddit :

GZDzx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Soveriegn

Is Digg about to die?

Who knows, or cares

Advertisement