Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No BTEA or Grant, what are my options?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

For the last year and a half I have been unemployed. I have done 3 years in college and received an ordinary degree and since this there has been no work in my sector or in general.

I have been on the job seekers allowance for this time and since there has been no work I have decided to return to college in the hopes of finding employment easier.

However I have been told that i dont qualify for the back to education allowance due to have previously been in college and completing my course.(Ironic because if i had just dropped out i would be able to receive it, to the best of my knowledge) I am also not eligible to receive a grant for the same reason because i have already been to college.

What can I do now? Without financial assistance I cant return to college, Im afraid to take out a bank loan in case the same thing happens again, and i cannot repay it in time.

Is it possible for me to appeal for the btea? To me it seems a better option to help me return to education rather than stay unemployed indefinitely claiming the job seekers allowance.

All help and suggestions would be gratly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats the level of your current degree - if you want to do a course where there is progression e.g. Level 6 to level 7 then they might give it to you

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaphas

I currently have a level 7, and the one i would be going back to do would be a level 8. Is it possible that I could still receive the grant or btea because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think you might be eligible for BTEA

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx
    You must be starting your course at year one.
    However, you can apply if you:
    Are exempt from part of your course because of a qualification you received in a previous course. For example, you have a higher certificate in a course that you now wish to pursue to degree level.

I also think you might be eligible for the grant

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7702/add-on-qualifications/index.html
    A full-time undergraduate course of a minimum duration of one year which represents progression from an Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma qualification to an 'Add-On' Honours Bachelor Degree qualification

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaphas

Thank you very much for all your help, I have returned to the welfare office with this information, and they have decided to give me the BTEA. Thanks again!!

Advertisement