Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology in one year

Options
  • 31-08-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭

So i applied for enviromental and earth system sciences in UCC this year.
    410 to 370 couldnt believe my luck because i had 380....but there was a c3 requirement in a science subject and id only gotten a d2 in chemistry, was gutted!

Anyways i didnt get offered it and was offered arts in UCC instead which ive not accepted much to some persons delight in 2days im sure.

So im taking a year out for financial reasons and not overly happy with my course.

Which leads me to my question which is will it be possible to get atleast the c3 requirement in bio if i study just that over the year? My points werent amazing but i do consider myself a good student who works but the pass irish and maths kinda killed me points wise.

Any help much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'd say you could do it, it's a long course but there's nothing overly difficult in it; it's mostly rote learning.

Though it would probably be easier to jump up a grade in chemistry than it would be to start a whole new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

At higher level i would say it would be very difficult. Each chapter goes into lots of detail and you need to know it all. Its not impossible but I would struggle myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's definitely doable, especially if it's the only subject you're taking. If you're not very self-disciplined, get grinds once or twice a week for the length of the school year. If you have good self-discipline and can learn well by yourself, you could easily just learn from the book and get a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Since you'd only have that one subject to do I'm sure you could do it no problem :) Get some revision books and go over all the previous short questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

It's definitely doable. You're interested in science because you want to do that course next year so I wouldn't imagine that it would be a problem to you at all. The fact that you have done chemistry makes it even better as you wont have any of the basic problems that people run into when they're doing some of the sections with a little bit of chemistry such as respiration and photosynthesis. As soon as people see that they freak out when it's really not that bad at all.

If you give it some of your time it will not be a problem. When I knew the course I used to be able to revise the entire course over a day and a half with breaks. You need to memorise a lot of facts so that needs to be done over time rather than a month before.

I had revise wise and the textbook that the author of the revise wise wrote. These were a great combination. Learn all of the experiments because you're asked questions on them in every section.

Main topics to focus on: Ecology, enzymes, experiments, genetics, photosynthesis, respiration, reproduction of plants and animals.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thanks lads, im gonna go ahead with it! :D

Be good way to keep the brain ticking over for the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

It's defo doable, I only took up biology ordinary level on my own 3 months before the leaving cert and got a B3, there's a lot can leave out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 monkeybusness2

yea bio is more dan doable in a year if you work hard.i loved bio and toke it up in my leavin cert year.i gots grinds in bio once a week from xmas on with a brillant teacher.he was da best teacher i eva had and gave great notes.but even if you jst repeatly did past papers over and over you are guaranteed an B :) gud luck

Advertisement