Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lovely looking van...looks v clean etc from pics...little bit pricy tho IMHO...but looks like a lovely example so could be worth the haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I think the price would be quiet reasonable if it's in good condition. Certainly haggle a bit. My first MH was a 96 Hymer which was bulletproof. Excellent build quality and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

I spoke to the owner and everything seems in order except that the odometer ain't working which is pretty serious in terms of genuine mileage..
    Anyone know how much a new one or repair would cost? I don't think it's just a cable.

How good are these engines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If its not turbo diesel I would avoid unless you like travelling at 50 and don't ever plan to drive up a hill.

The 2.5 td is a great engine when looked after i have one with over 400k kilometers.

Instruments in these are a regular failure I looked at 4 minibuses last year all had new clocks. I assume hymer have used the sandard ducato clocks you should be able to get a set around 50-70 euro and fitting them is a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

paddyp wrote: »
    If its not turbo diesel I would avoid unless you like travelling at 50 and don't ever plan to drive up a hill.

The 2.5 td is a great engine when looked after i have one with over 400k kilometers.

Instruments in these are a regular failure I looked at 4 minibuses last year all had new clocks. I assume hymer have used the sandard ducato clocks you should be able to get a set around 50-70 euro and fitting them is a doddle.

I'm pretty sure it's a td otherwise I wouldn't go near it. Used to motorbikes and fast cars so it'd be painful to drive something so slow. I know this isn't gonna be a rocket but so long as it can keep up..

Good to hear engines are good for miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

paddyp wrote: »

Agree 100% , apart from I've never had a clock to go faulty.
    Checkthe cross member , and all the brake pipes for rot , also the earth strap on the chassis leg under the battery . Make sure the wipers are working freely too .

Those era Hymers suffer with low water pressure compared to newer vans , so just check . A lot of them have had newer , bigger pumps fitted .

It's really a layout suitable for 2 people , is that enough for you?

Advertisement