Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner bike licence

Options
  • 31-08-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I have just moved here from Northern Ireland and I'm thinking of getting a bike. I already have a full UK driving licence for a car.

Does anyone knowing that entitles me to drive a bike down here and what size?
    Or do I have to get an Irish licence, and what will that allow me to drive? (bhp, kws, power/weight ratio)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Finding-an-Instructor/test4/

motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.

Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) cannot carry a passenger and are required at all times to display ‘L’ plates front and rear on a yellow fluorescent tabard.

Basically, unless you have a motorbike licence, then you need a learner permit and the above applies to you untill two years after you have your Full A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Thanks. Was thinking of getting 1999 Yamaha dragstar vxs650.
    40bhp and 229kg
    So:
    40bhp=29.8kw
    29.8kw/229kg = 0.13kw/kg

So that should be okay on learner licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Shouldn't the full UK license be valid here?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Dont think so.
    Uk full car licence only allows you to drive up to 125cc.
    Think same rule would apply here but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Ah! Sorry, I misread your opening post, I thought you said you had a full motorcycle license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Can somebody advise me please. I used to have a provisional licence that allowed me to drive a motorcycle up to 125cc. About six years ago I passed my car test and obtained a full car licence and my provisional expired. If I want to apply for the motorcycle test do I have to get a brand new learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

PWEI wrote: »
    Can somebody advise me please. I used to have a provisional licence that allowed me to drive a motorcycle up to 125cc. About six years ago I passed my car test and obtained a full car licence and my provisional expired. If I want to apply for the motorcycle test do I have to get a brand new learner permit?

if your licence/ permit / provisional has expired for 5 or more years you will have to apply for a new one and start from scratch

Advertisement