Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Lakes Fishing, Free?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, Last minute plans for a day out today with family, thinking of heading out later this morning to Killarney Lakes with the gang, last day fishing before school, are Killarney lakes free fishing? Not looking for Salmon or Sea Trout, Just a few Brown if we are lucky.
    Also, where would be the best spot to plonk ourselves down for a picnic while fishing so we are not in anyones way.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hope this reply isnt too late. Yeah the lakes are free fishing. You can hire a boat around Ross castle if that takes your fancy and have that picnic on one of the islands. Otherwise for a bit of bank fishing head for the upper lake (drive up the gap of dunloe and you cant miss it). There's a car park and you should get some trout from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I thought free was a word long extinct from the fishermans' dictionary :)

I know the exact spot that you're talking about, but I had no idea the fishing was free - great spot to take the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

heard the brown trout in those lakes were small enough.....nice lakes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

heard the brown trout in those lakes were small enough.....nice lakes though....

Bit of a research project for you so ironblue....take a walk around the pubs of killarney and there's the odd pub with stuffed monsters that came from the lakes....i wont tell you which pubs so you will have to make you way from pub to pub (purely for research like :pac:)

Yeah Andip, they're free but i suppose most of the major lakes around the country are. Getting on them is whats costs the bobs if you don't have your own boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for the replies lads, great place for the family, no fish, but just being out does it for me, free trout fishing killarney lakes, you need licence for salmon and sea trout, then a small stroll thru the park and spotted some deer, great place to be on such a fine day.
    There was a bit of wind which churned up the waters a bit, also lots of alge, but as I said, I just love being out fishing with the family, even if nothing is caught.

Thanks and regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

SeaFields wrote: »
    Bit of a research project for you so ironblue....take a walk around the pubs of killarney and there's the odd pub with stuffed monsters that came from the lakes....i wont tell you which pubs so you will have to make you way from pub to pub (purely for research like :pac:)

good to hear the trout are big and the pints nice ;);) big trout and big pints...now you are talking.

Advertisement