Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm strongly thinking of quitting for many reasons. Do most people go cold turkey or quit in stages, have tried patches to no avail. All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Do it, you will not regret it. Just remember everytime you want a fag, its not you that wants it, its the nicotine. your body does not want it, its poison!!

I tried the patches before and they didnt work for me. So this time i went cold turkey. I just felt i needed to get all the nicotine out of my system, get rid of it for good. because if you're still taking in nicotine, you're still addicted and its much harder to stay off them.

The initial 3 days are the worst for going cold turkey your body is cleansing itself of the drug. After 72 hours, your body will be clean of nicotine and its the habit thats needs to be broken after that. That goes in 4/5weeks (well it did for me). Im off them 8 weeks now, and i feel great.

Best of luck and keep posting here, some great folks on here and they'll help you along like they did with me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I gave up on the 21st March, was on 30 a day when i gave up

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862431

I'd been thinkin about it for a while but just woke up on that Sunday morning and decided to do it, no patches, pills or potions.

Sure it was hard, i was just taking it day by day. The first week was fine, weeks 2 & 3 i was a grouchy fcuker, that soon passed though.

When i drove home from work, i'd normally smoke 2 ciggies, it felt weird driving and not smoking, soon got used to it.

I don't drink much so going to the pub and smoking wasn't really a problem.

Motivation, i used a guy i know, he's a complete and utter plumb, and he gave up 6 months previously, if he could do it, then so could i.

A few of my mates came over from Wales on July 30th to see Iron Maiden, we were in the pub all day, now that was a test, which i failed :( I smoked about 20 ciggies that day, but when i woke up next morning i never touched another one and haven't since.

Now i gave up for many reasons, Cost, Health, the usual bollox, but the thing is, as much as smoking is a bad and disgusting habit, i fcukin loved having a smoke!!!!

It'll be hard, at the end of the day, all this pills and potions stuff is bollox, it's all in your head, if your ready to give up and want to, then you're halfway there.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brandon111

5 easy tips to quit smoking:

1. Believe in yourself. Believe that you can quit. Think about
    some of the most difficult things you have done in your life and
    realize that you have the guts and determination to quit
    smoking. It's up to you.

2. After reading this list, sit down and write your own list,
    customized to your personality and way of doing things. Create
    you own plan for quitting.

3. Write down why you want to quit (the benefits of quitting):
    live longer, feel better, for your family, save money, smell
    better, find a mate more easily, etc. You know what's bad about
    smoking and you know what you'll get by quitting. Put it on
    paper and read it daily.

4. Ask your family and friends to support your decision to quit.
    Ask them to be completely supportive and non-judgmental. Let
    them know ahead of time that you will probably be irritable and
    even irrational while you withdraw from your smoking habit.

5. Set a quit date. Decide what day you will extinguish your
    cigarettes forever. Write it down. Plan for it. Prepare your
    mind for the "first day of the rest of your life". You might
    even hold a small ceremony when you smoke you last cigarette, or
    on the morning of the quit date.

<snip mod edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dec.

Some great advice thanks. Yeah I've more or less decieded it's time to quit even see my own father developing serious health problems because of it. I would be smoking 20 a day for the last twenty three years. Plenty of support at home from my partner no pressure she wants me to do it for my health. I'm going to Germany this weekend with her might be a good time to start.

What side affects did you all notice at the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rolez

Hi all

I'm now on day 2 and thought I'd share a few tips for anyone else in the early stages of quitting.

Firstly, its taken a long time to get my mind in the right state for a serious quit. Its really important to focus on why you are quitting. I've tried to quit many times, but this time has to be the one.

Now at the end of day 2, I've found it difficult, but am proud to have got this far!!

So, a few tips that could help......
    1. Every time you feel the thought of having a cig enter your mind, immediately tell yourself 'no' and think of the reasons why you've stopped.
    2. Drinking healthy drinks has really helped. I've treated myself to 'detox' and 'booster' smoothies and fruit juices! They taste better and feel like they're doing some good in regaining a healthy body.
    3. Do something you really like doing. For me its walking in the countryside. Then think to yourself would you be doing this in 10-30 years time if you'd continued to smoke. The answer would be most likely no due to ill health or death!
    4. Learn to enjoy the cravings.......as each time you don't give in, your will power is strengthened!
    5. Definately keep busy........
    6. Treat yourself to something each day.
    7. Why not try a 'pulse point' roll on? I use a lavender one when the craves get really bad......deep breaths and a much nicer smell than cigs!

Hope that stop smoking help may work for someone a bit wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Captains log - stardate - day 2.

Have fallen off the wagon a few times over the last couple of yrs, (usually around blazing arguments with the gf) but reckon if I can make it through the next 2 weeks this time it's for keeps.

Aside from the usual patches, gum, eating loads, loads of walks, lots of hobby stuff to keep busy & out of pubs anyone have any recommendations to keep off them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Morlar wrote: »
    Captains log - stardate - day 2.

Have fallen off the wagon a few times over the last couple of yrs, (usually around blazing arguments with the gf) but reckon if I can make it through the next 2 weeks this time it's for keeps.

Aside from the usual patches, gum, eating loads, loads of walks, lots of hobby stuff to keep busy & out of pubs anyone have any recommendations to keep off them ?

I recommend the Allen Carr book!

I'll be off them 8 weeks tonight. The typical scenarios you mention have been easy for me so far. I would definately recommend the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

When I gave up smoking I did it cold turkey. It was surprisingly easy considering I had failed a few times before. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to give up cold turkey.

But I am very glad that I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oldgirl

Dec. wrote: »
    I'm strongly thinking of quitting for many reasons. Do most people go cold turkey or quit in stages, have tried patches to no avail. All suggestions welcome.

Cheers
    I am a vetern at stopping smoking - 42 years every new year, birthday, etc. I have tried it all hypnosis several times from 70 euro to 500 euro. Ear pricks 100 euro, something called resonance another 100 (complete waste). the longest I ever stopped for was a few days.
    I am now two months free from cigs and have no wish to smoke at all - so never give up hope
    I came across a recommendation for Tom Tynan on these boards and to cut a long story short booked a session 3 months later. Session was two hours but it was very fast. He dome some eye work that he is the only one in Ireland does. In 20 minutes he got to my emotional reason for smoking - I was blown away, skocked, cried, and then felt something lifted off my chest I finall knew why nothing else worked. We did other stuff and hypnosis. Walked out a bit shattered but knew I would never smoke again. Thanks tom and I highly recommend you to anyone. Please stop when your young I am sure I have done lots of damage but at my age every day counts

Advertisement