Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social anxiety therapy Cork?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've realised I suffered from this for years but never had a name for it until I recently went looking for answers on the internet. It's definitely ruining my life, I've underachieved career-wise because I would only ever apply for any job where I could hide away from people, I completely let my college degree go to waste. I've only had a few brief relationships because I am terrified of approaching and talking to girls, flirting is impossible. The annoying thing is once I finally manage to relax around peope they seem to like me, however at that point I feel that a relationship dynamic had been established where I'm the inferior/damaged person (if that makes any sense) and I never feel equal.

I was recently made redundant from my nice safe job where I had few dealings with people and those I had to deal with I had managed to relax around (that took some time). Now I'm unemployed and finding any job now is tough, let alone one suited to my phobia.

My friend says she can get me a job working as a customer support worker at a call centre. That sounds like a complete nightmare to me. Trapped in a little cubicle with co-workers every side of me, having to talk to people on the phone constantly. Having to liase with a supervisor all the time. Just thinking about it makes me feel ill. At the same time I'd REALLY like to take it as it's the only job offer I've had in a few months, I really wish I was capable of doing it.

Is there somewhere I can go to for help with this? My present circumstances are forcing me to finally do something about it. I'd especially like to hear from people in Cork and where they went for help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StaryEye

Hi,

Yes I understand that this is a very frustrating condition!

I think I have a mild touch of it - there's not a week that goes by that it doesn't effect me!

And because of it I am unable to relate well to people at times, which in turn hinders me from forming a relationship with anyone:-(

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This thread was posted in 2010, while I appreciate you are lending support - could you please check the date of threads you post in and if doing a search, avoid bumping old/obsolete threads...and feel free to start your own thread if it's an issue you'd like to discuss!

Cheers. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement