Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significance of house specifically named in OSI map?

• 30-08-2010 11:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, so mods please feel free to move this to a more suitable forum.

Anyway, I was just looking up the OSI map of our area online and just noticed that our house is specifically named on the map as XXX cottage. I looked at the rest of the houses in the area, which I know are also pretty old, but their names don't appear on the OSI map, so I was just wondering if there's any significance to this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Just took a quick look on the 'historic' OSI maps available online and it's also mentioned there, if that's any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Your house is obviously reasonably old, and has a specific name. Where properties were named when the survey or subsequent revisions were carried out these names are shown on the maps for identification purposes and to give context to the surrounding properties in order to make the maps more usuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

convert wrote: »
    Just took a quick look on the 'historic' OSI maps available online and it's also mentioned there, if that's any use?

Was it within any particular demesne boundaries on the 1840 (would be shaded slightly or hatched)? Might be worth a trip to the land registry archive for a follow-up. If it was sepcifically named, it may have been remarked upon in the valuation field books for your area also (the index is on the shelf in the national archives, books are on microfilm)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

efla wrote: »
    Was it within any particular demesne boundaries on the 1840 (would be shaded slightly or hatched)?

From what I can see, it's not within any demesne boundaries. There is a 'big house' nearby, but it only ever had a small quantity of land and the cottage in question is mentioned within its own right rather than as part of the estate (if that makes sense?)
    Might be worth a trip to the land registry archive for a follow-up. If it was sepcifically named, it may have been remarked upon in the valuation field books for your area also (the index is on the shelf in the national archives, books are on microfilm)

Hadn't thought of the National Archives - must take a look there.

When you mention the 'land registry archive', do you mean the Registry of Deeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

convert wrote: »
    From what I can see, it's not within any demesne boundaries. There is a 'big house' nearby, but it only ever had a small quantity of land and the cottage in question is mentioned within its own right rather than as part of the estate (if that makes sense?)

Hadn't thought of the National Archives - must take a look there.

When you mention the 'land registry archive', do you mean the Registry of Deeds?

The valuation office is in the Irish life centre. You will need to write to them for permission first - they can get quite busy with legal inquiries - and are usually more agreeable if you emphasise an academic component or credentials. The registry of deeds is card-catalogued toward the back of the reading room (N.A.) if I remember - I haven't used it much so I'm not sure what details may be available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement