Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fee's question i can't find the answer for...

Options
  • 30-08-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a mature student (Allegedly),32, returning to college after a 9 yr gap (of working,travelling,living etc.), and have just received my registration form from IT Blanchardstown. The course is not an add-on in any way to my previous degree. So this means I will be starting a SECOND undergraduate degree in a completely different area of study. Now, I know that this usually means that I should pay BOTH registration fees AND tuition fees, BUT, my first degree was in Portobello College, which is a fee paying private college. This means that the government has never paid any fees towards my further education, and so i'm wondering if i could be exempt from paying the tuition fees for this second degree.I know I have to pay the 1500 Euro registration fees, as do ALL students for each year of their degree, but surely this should count as my first time as far as the fee paying authority (Dept. Of Education maybe?) is concerned regarding my tuition fees (of 2319 EURO). I hope this makes some sense to you as a question, it's even confusing typing this lol. If someone could shed some light on this for me from past experience or someone just 'in the know' could help it'd be much appreciated.
    P.S sorry for the long question

Tony F.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Makes perfect sense to me - ring Blanch IT as they will be the ones informing whether or not you are paying fee's though I dont see how you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

Cheers Redout, yea, i will ring ITB, i just wanted to have some info. to rebut anything they throw at me i.e. trying to make me pay all haha. I'm encouraged by your optimism though.thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes you should get free tuition fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Tony,

I have a Level 8 degree (UCD) from the days before free fees and never got funding for that. I am now back in college studying for a different unrelated Level 8 degree (TCD). I have to pay full fees. Check out student finance and your relevant local authority, but I think you only get your fees paid for your first undergraduate degree. If you have a previous degree, regardless of how it was funded (or from where), then you are liable for fees. Only way around it is if you are progressing, say your first degree was Level 7 and you are now doing a Level 8.

Depending on what information you provided to Blanchardstown IT in your application, I know TCD sent me a form I had to get filled in and certified in UCD. It stated I was pre free fees, but I was still ineligible.

Certainly check with the the fees office as suggested, and maybe with Portobello the story is different, but the info above is what applied to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

ok Thanks for your input Abbey, i'm starting tomorrow so at least i'll be able to talk to someone face to face rather than trying to catch the right person by phone all the time.i'll post my 'results' on here for anyone who's interested.thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

You will have to pay tuition fees whether the government funded your degree the first time round or not. Free fees are only available to those who don't have a degree already.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sassypsych wrote: »
    You will have to pay tuition fees whether the government funded your degree the first time round or not. Free fees are only available to those who don't have a degree already.
    got a link to prove that?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/fees

First paragraph, fourth point says, "You must not have a previous qualification to the same level".

If you are on any benefits like btea or are getting a grant you may be eligible for full/part fees so you can always try going down that route too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    got a link to prove that?

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm

Students NOT eligable for free fees:

a) Degree graduates
    No graduate - regardless of where or when the degree was obtained - qualifies for free tuition.

I have also had this info from the Department of Education as well.

Advertisement