Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts and French courses

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Anybody any ideas for a good fifth year gaeltacht for this summer? I went to colaiste lurgan in second year and it was brilliant but I found it wasn't strict enough and people were always speaking English so you couldn't speak Irish to them. My spoken Irish is alright but my spoken grammar is crap, and with the course changing I need it to be brilliant. Preferably something with a bit of watersports.

The other thing I need is a French course, preferably an exchange to a school. Or are the ELC courses any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

Hey! I've heard from others, Coláiste Uisce would be the main place to go if you want watersports and kind of adventure activities... It's only two weeks long and meant to be great craic, but I'm not sure HOW much Irish you'd learn, I've heard that it's not the strictest...

I know that to learn Irish you'd want to go to Coláiste Chamuis or Spleodar. I've been to Camus for five years, so naturally I would push that, having started with no Irish and ending up with an A1 in the Leaving (with a series of questionable teachers, I must add). And those that I know that started in fifth year came out incredibly well from Camus, too. If you've already go good enough Irish, you're laughing. They do cover all the grammar, but in a more interesting and useful way than you might do in class at home!
    The teachers there are usually incredibly enthusiastic and the friends you make there are amazing craic. Plenty to do during the days and nights, too, you never really get bored!
    I've also heard plenty of wonderful things from Spleodar, too, and I wouldn't really recommend from experience anywhere other than those two!

I've heard ELC is great, though I never went to French College.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yeah I've heard of camus and spleodor, must look into them!
    Anyone any knowledge in terms of the B&B courses where you can do two subjects, like grind school? What are they like socially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I know that St. Mary's College in Galway does a French course each summer, basically the Gaeltacht for French; 3 weeks long, activities, stay with people in Galway city and if you speak English you're sent home. It's a bit more expensive, around a grand, defo going this summer though. I'm looking for an A1 in French :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That Mary's college course is one of the ELC courses (along with Clongowes and Flannans in Ennis). Costs €1,200 afaik. And I'm fairly sure that the students stay in the school.They work on a complaint system. If yeh get 2 complaints yeh get sent home but they'd normally give you at least 3. Yeh get complaints for bad behaviour or speaking English. If you're already good at French I wouldn't recommend going because you're gonna pick up bad habits but it's very good for people who are at a B or C (or less) standard.
    Best Gaeltacht for learning Irish is defo Colaiste na bhFiann but I heard they are really strict on behaviour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

^ What he said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

THFC wrote: »
    Best Gaeltacht for learning Irish is defo Colaiste na bhFiann but I heard they are really strict on behaviour too.

Yeah, I forgot about Coláiste na bhFiann - it's meant to be a lot more exam-based than the others, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah, I forgot about Coláiste na bhFiann - it's meant to be a lot more exam-based than the others, isn't it?
    They don't cover any poetry or prose or any of that stuff - they don't even write! Just really working on the oral aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

THFC wrote: »
    They don't cover any poetry or prose or any of that stuff - they don't even write! Just really working on the oral aspect.

You can study poems and stuff by yourself, I recommend Colaiste na Bhfiann, I got a B in the JC and got an A1 this year in the Lc, the oral and tape were very easy after going there. I went for 3 years but Im sure if you are only going for 1 then its still one of the best places. Go to an A course like sligo or rath cairn, not B like in ros muc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Coláiste Lurgan just finished the 4th course of the year, a two week course for Leaving Cert students only. I would say this would be the best for those who want to prepare for the exam.

Advertisement