Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death Of Cash? All Over The World Governments Are Banning Large Cash Transactions

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I don't always quote Alex Jones however this subject has cropped up in the media several times since the global economic downturn, Greece in particular, How long will it be before large denominations of cash be banned in Ireland? Could it be brought in under the guise of fighting drug dealing, gangland warfare and tax evasion?

20isvpc.jpg

"Are we witnessing the slow but certain death of cash in this generation? Is a truly cashless society on the horizon? Legislation currently pending in the Mexican legislature would ban a vast array of large cash transactions, but the truth is that Mexico is far from alone in trying to restrict cash. All over the world, governments are either placing stringent reporting requirements on large cash transactions or they are banning them altogether.

We are being told that such measures are needed to battle illegal drug traffic, to catch tax evaders and to fight the war on terror. But are we rapidly getting to the point where we will have no financial privacy left whatsoever? Should we just accept that we have entered a time when the government will watch, track and trace all financial transactions? Is it inevitable that at some point in the near future ALL transactions will go through the banking system in one form or another (check, credit card, debit card, etc.)"

335dq2r.jpg

Greece: All cash transactions above 1,500 euros are being banned starting next year.

“From 1. Jan. 2011, every transaction above 1,500 euros between natural persons and businesses, or between businesses, will not be considered legal if it is done in cash. Transactions will have to be done through debit or credit cards

Italy: All cash transactions over 5,000 euros will be banned. It is said this is being done to crack down on tax evasion, but even if this is being done to take down the mafia this is still quite severe.

United States: Your bank is required to file a currency transaction report with the government for every deposit, withdrawal or exchange over $10,000 in cash.

Mexico $7,700 limit on the purchase of luxury goods and a total ban on property cash transactions. Anyone violating this law would face up to 15 years in prison. :eek:

The end result of this will be inevitable:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/the-death-of-cash-all-over-the-world-governments-are-banning-large-cash-transactions.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

I don't think there'll be any privacy in the world in the future, with the advance of technology. Think it would be handy not to need cash though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

I don't think there'll be any privacy in the world in the future, with the advance of technology. Think it would be handy not to need cash though.

:rolleyes:
    < joshing

watch your head going into that gas chamber there

joshing >

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Ireland have something like that already. Banks have to question you if you have a large amount to deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So two countries are introducing bans on large cash transactions.
    Two countries have limitations regarding certain types of large cash transactions.

This gets reported as "all over the world countries are banning large cash transactions".

Maybe we should start threads on "death of accuracy. All over the internet, threads are surfacing which use abandon accuracy in favour of gross hyperbole"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

bonkey wrote: »
    Two countries have limitations regarding certain types of large cash transactions.

This gets reported as "all over the world countries are banning large cash transactions".

Maybe we should start threads on "death of accuracy. All over the internet, threads are surfacing which use abandon accuracy in favour of gross hyperbole"

The death has to start somewhere. :p

I think it'll be a while before cash is replaced yet. Many local surrencies are being trialled to help local economies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its money laundering really, no normal person is going to pay thousands in cash unless they have something to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

But just like the cigarette smoking ban in public buildings it will also become contagious.

But just like the cigarette smoking ban in public buildings it will also become contagious.

A good thing in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Justice minister ahern called for less cash to be used. He justified it by saying it would reduce tiger kidnappings. I'm on my mobile so i can't link to it, but its in the irish times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

You should see some of the threads in Irish Economy. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

yekahs wrote: »
    Justice minister ahern called for less cash to be used. He justified it by saying it would reduce tiger kidnappings. I'm on my mobile so i can't link to it, but its in the irish times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0902/breaking49.html
    “We’re the only country in Europe that doesn’t charge for money coming out of the hole in the wall and that, I think, is something that will have to be looked at.”

Who will this charge be paid to? Bank or gov?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

yekahs wrote: »

Cash will become obsolete eventually, but it will obviously be something that is rolled out rather than we'll all wake up one morning to find no cash in our pockets.
    Cash free currency in itself isn't a bad thing, no more than anything else is, it's the way it's used, or more manipulated to suit the ends of those in control. The current system of cash is doing a good job of that already, all thats happening is that the control system will go from profiting from the cash system to profiting from the cash less system.
    Cash isn't some sort of life line for freedom, and a cash free system isn't itself a one way trip to a police state.

As for the quoted statement about "using less cash" because of "tiger kidnappings", I feel it's wise to point out that criminals will always adapt to any situation, even a cash free sytem will prove difficult to secure properly, especially in it's infancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

loss of freedom under the guise of fighting crime - not new around the world and championed here first by bertie post omagh bombing - he then got tired of fighting the good fight and decided then to get everyone he knew rich - and changed the law to do so

sorry for any of you that have cash in a personal safe - it ll soon be illegal to hold and carry cash

simply because it can't be removed from you without physical enforcement

cash removal debt enforcement enslavery guaranteed

thanks you fianna fail gombeen scumbags for this and giving up our sovereignty via the non acceptance of our no vote and rigging of the subsequent fear occasioned and accepted yes vote

where are the jobs ye promised ye pricks?

better off under the brits - anyone wish 1916 had failed?

personally I do

sligopark wrote: »
    loss of freedom under the guise of fighting crime - not new around the world and championed here first by bertie post omagh bombing - he then got tired of fighting the good fight and decided then to get everyone he knew rich - and changed the law to do so

sorry for any of you that have cash in a personal safe - it ll soon be illegal to hold and carry cash

simply because it can't be removed from you without physical enforcement

cash removal debt enforcement enslavery guaranteed

thanks you fianna fail gombeen scumbags for this and giving up our sovereignty via the non acceptance of our no vote and rigging of the subsequent fear occasioned and accepted yes vote

where are the jobs ye promised ye pricks?

better off under the brits - anyone wish 1916 had failed?

personally I do

I highly doubt cash will be made illegal any time soon. It might become alot more handy to just not use cash, but I can't see it becoming illegal in Ireland or the world any time in the foreseeable future, infact I'd say in 50-100 years time we'll still have cash.
    And I don't see how we'd be any better off now under Britain than independent, we'd probably be worse off.
    And 1916 did fail by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I highly doubt cash will be made illegal any time soon. It might become alot more handy to just not use cash, but I can't see it becoming illegal in Ireland or the world any time in the foreseeable future, infact I'd say in 50-100 years time we'll still have cash.
    And I don't see how we'd be any better off now under Britain than independent, we'd probably be worse off.
    And 1916 did fail by the way.

I agree... no government in their right mind would cut off the black economy completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

lookd like good old Dermot Ahern had put his big bilderberger boot into this debate :pac::pac:

Advertisement