Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Tutoring

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi everyone, hope you're all settling back into school as well as you can.

I'm looking for some opinions on an Applied Maths tutoring scheme I've been thinking about. Essentially it's teaching the subject by distance, as I know it can often be difficult for students outside the biggest towns to find a tutor (I was one of these in my day). I took AM for my own Leaving Cert and I have tutored students thoughout my time in university. I have recently finished my degree and would have more time to devote to tuition.

My normal mode of teaching is textbook based with progression to past examination questions, in fifth as well as sixth year. I believe in simplifying the course as much as possible and providing clear model answers so the student understands the reasoning behind the topic. The way in which it would work by distance, I believe would be e-mail, and live chat based with occasional telephone and face to face contact (this would all be structured when we would get going). I would be happy to take either fifth year students or sixth years for an intense course. As a guide, I would advise at least a higher level B grade at Junior Cert maths, especially as the student would need to be able to manage the distance element of the course. I would propose charging 35-40euro per module, of which there are ten. Obviously to make it worth my while, I would need a certain amount of students.

I hope I have described this well and more specific details could be worked out at a later stage in private. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I would appreciate feedback/interest from you below.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JonSon

That sounds interesting please provide more detail as to structure and timetable as well as costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MiniMed

I'll write something up and PM you tomorrow.

Btw what year are you in?

Advertisement