Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos developing?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello,

Im hoping to get into photography and am currently reading about techniques etc and looking at other peoples work. Im thinking of sticking with 35mm film for the time being and would like to meet anyone who is developing their own stuff.
    I have no idea whats involved in processing film but would love to give it a go.
    Im a big fan of the Magnum agencys photographers and cant wait to discover new photographers I havnt yet come accross.
    Any tips on that front would be much appreciated.
    Look forward to hearing from you,

Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Developing B&W film at home is very easy. You can do it with a 20 Euro developing tank, some volume measurement apparatus, a thermometer, developer, and fixer. The only challenging bits are loading the film onto the developing reels in darkness and timing the length of time the developer is in the tank for reasonably accurately.

If you're interested in Magnum and you haven't already bought it, Magnum Magnum is a great (and cheap) retrospective that covers all the Magnum photographers and contains several images from each and a short introduction written by another member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 my name is peter

Good to hear that the developing thing is so accesable. Gives me another reason to loiter on e-bay.
    I picked up a copy of Magnum Magnum a couple of weeks ago after becoming aware of the agency through a couple of books on Cartier-Bresson (my hero) and Capa. It was a suprise to find out that they worked together and freaking excelent to get an intro to some of those who they worked with. Not too sure I agree with you on the whole cheap thing but its certainly great value.
    Any idea where I can get my hands on some developer and fixer? I dont doubt that the good people of e-bay could sort me out but I would prefer to get it a little closer to home. Dublin that is.
    Thanks for your tips charybdis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You'll find everything you need in terms of equipment and chemicals @ John Gunn's camera shop on Wexford Street.

http://www.johngunn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Gunns will sort you out. That's where I buy all my stuff (i develop at home too - a fair few of us do around here). http://www.johngunn.ie/

If you want I can talk you through the developing process? I have access to a darkroom just up from Gunns on Camden street and a bit of free time in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

this is why i love boards!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Apparently somewhere in the attic my Dad has stowed away my Granddad's developement tank. I've been waiting for college to start back to get back to the darkroom - I can't handle the wait times on B+W film!

Sinead - I'm gonna follow you to the darkroom some day! Be warned!!! I'm going through serious withdrawl

That offer of a demo in the dark room sounds sweet. Im really flexable as far as time is concerned so whenevers good for you is good for me.
    If this dark room you mentioned is part of the Dublin camera club its even better as I joined as a member there a couple of weeks ago and signed up for the beginners class which dosent start until the end of september.
    It would be great to make an early start.
    Look forward to meeting you,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Welcome to the forum Pete. As you can already see the good folk around here are a friendly bunch.

I know the OP in real life (yes that thing) and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. Somewhat sleepy today- noticed the post but didn't put two and two together. D'oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Whilst we're all mingling here... does anyone know where a poor soul like myself could pick up a 'dark tent'... not a 'dark bag'... the 'tent' version?

And if they cost more than €60 pretend you've never seen one... cos I'll only start banging on about them being too expensive.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

One word of warning though Peter and it's a biggie. As you like film you'll be known from here on in as an 'elitest'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Whilst we're all mingling here... does anyone know where a poor soul like myself could pick up a 'dark tent'... not a 'dark bag'... the 'tent' version?

And if they cost more than €60 pretend you've never seen one... cos I'll only start banging on about them being too expensive.

Cheers

I got my dark bag from this fella and he does tents too, the dark bag is good :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Field-Outdoor-Tripod-Tent-Mobile-Darkroom-LF-/280544637960?pt=UK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET

(and it's only 52 euro!!
    without postage
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Elitist snobs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I know the OP in real life (yes that thing) and you couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Good! Because I just realised I offered to lock myself in a darkened room with a stranger from the internet. And strangers from the internet are invariably axe murderers, as we all know*.

And yep - DCC. PM sent :)

*I am not an axe murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    *I am not an axe murderer

Damnit, I was just about to point out the obvious corollary there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Welcome to boards Peter. As has been said, developing film is quite easy, cheap and very addictive.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 boardmann

Hi Peter
    You'r more then welcome to visit .. spend some time in my darkroom ..

i'm out Deansgrange direction ..

as i'm a non practicing axe murderer .. you should be perfectly safe ..:D

Noel

This is the first time I have used a chat room type forum and Im really impressed with the hospitality and offers of help. Much more than I could of hoped for.
    Nice one.

Advertisement