Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lenght of time between plastering and painting

Options
  • 30-08-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering how long u should leave between plastering a wall and painting it. We will be plastering the outside of our house next week and we were thinking of painting the gables (its a 1 and half story house) ends while the scaffolding is still up as it will make life easier in the long round. So just wondering how long we will have to leave the scaffolding up and would it be worth it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Not much help I know, but I'd really be interested in hearing some opinions on this as well. I'm in the same position at the minute and I've had a couple of opinions from plasterers and other trades men. They pretty much have all told me that a few weeks would be enough in there opinion, maybe 4-8 weeks. I was also told that it would also be no harm to seal the plaster finish first so that no paint is absorbed into the plaster and less will be needed. I haven't spoken to any painters yet (which will obviously be the most important opinion) so I'd like to hear what you all think. It'd be very handy to paint while the scaffolding is still up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Minimum 1mm per day . So 3 weeks for 20mm plaster . Spending €30 to hire a damp meter to check before decorations start is a smart move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Minimum 1mm per day . So 3 weeks for 20mm plaster . Spending €30 to hire a damp meter to check before decorations start is a smart move

Hey there sinnerboy, surely external plaster drys much faster than internal works????, so would the same apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Depends on weather really . 1mm / day is a rule of thumb that's all .

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

We had scratch coat done 3 weeks ago. Skimmed last Friday. Got some fine days this week and it's dried out well.....Will be painting over the weekend. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

JuniorB wrote: »
    We had scratch coat done 3 weeks ago. Skimmed last Friday. Got some fine days this week and it's dried out well.....Will be painting over the weekend. :cool:

great week this week for drying for sure. I guess it does vary. Id say the moisture metre not a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

my external plaster looked dry but the meter dissagreed. as such have waited for an extra ftwo weeks and it made all the difference, meter now happy.

Advertisement